UCLA FEMBA Rejected Examples

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

UCLA FEMBA Rejected Examples

by StillTipping » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am
Greetings,

Would anyone mind sharing some stats of people they know who got rejected from UCLA's FEMBA program? I just started studying for the GMAT and am getting nervous I can't hit the 700 mark. I understand this is self defeated thinking, but I'm a natural worrier and would like to get a clear understanding of the challenges that are ahead in order to mentally prepare myself.

I have a 2.71 GPA from a Top 40 undergrad in Economics, usually pretty average when it comes to standardized exams, but the GMAT proves to be a very different type of animal. 9 years work experience at large investment brokerage firms as a portfolio manager. I think work experience is my only saving grace as these are all Fortune 50-75 companies and my income is 200k+ a year. I can't change what I can't change, but am willing to own up to my past mistakes. I don't mind dedicating 600+ hours to the GMAT if that is what it takes, but I didn't really get my act together until after college and expect to pay the full consequences of my previous mentality.

What GMAT score would you feel that I would need to hit to have a really good opportunity of getting accepted to UCLA's FEMBA program? And even if I put in 600 hours into studying for the GMAT, would I be able to crack 700 if I'm not a naturally intelligent person? I scored 1200's/1600 on my SATs so please keep in mind I'm a very average standardized test taker. Thank you very much for your time!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:08 pm
Thanks for sharing your profile.

As you are aware that your GPA is on the low side, and that an above average GMAT score would certainly help address concerns on academic potential. The GMAT range for the UCLA FEMBA is 620-730, try your best to score at the upper end of the range. If you haven't done so, consider engaging a test prep service, who could optimize your preparation time for the GMAT.

Scoring below the target GMAT does not necessarily exclude you from consideration, you would have to rely more on the other aspects of your profile to help you show fit, while standing out in other dimensions. Showing great work experiences, leading large-scale projects and demonstrating analytical skills, and unique experiences, skills, or traits will also help boost your chances.

Wish you all the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!