How much time on IR

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

How much time on IR

by CAREY33 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:44 pm
Given that it does not contribute to one's total score, how much time should one spend studying IR compared to Quant and Verbal?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:25 pm
Hi CAREY33,

IR involves many of the same skills that CR does (with a bit of 'math' and the potential to occasionally use Quant Tactics thrown in). As such, you might find it worthwhile to deal with IR later on during your studies, after you've honed your other Quant and Verbal skills. All that having been said, since many Schools have publicly stated that they do not use an Applicant's IR score as part of the review process, you probably shouldn't be spending that much time training for IR. While it's helpful to get some repetitions in to become familiar with the question types and get comfortable 'dumping' questions when appropriate - and you should ALWAYS include the Essay and IR section when you take your CATs - putting in lots of time to train for IR is NOT a good use of your time.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:12 pm
I agree with Rich. Most students will not need to spend much additional time studying for IR outside of the time they spend studying for Quant and Verbal. Most of the concepts tested significantly overlap with the concepts tested in Quant and Verbal.

As an example, here are some question types that I saw on IR when I took the real test a few months ago:
- a combinatorics problem that utilized the standard n!/((m!)(n - m)!)
- a question very similar to a CR question, but for which I had to choose the one that most weakened in column A, the one that most strengthened in column B
- one ratio problem

The only practice that most students should need to do is with reading and synthesizing information from charts and graphs. This should require less than 5% of a student's total study time, I would think.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education