Need help! Weak in Quant and Verbal after years of GAP

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
This is for the first time i am writing about my queries.i am confused about how to start my preparation for GMAT. As i failed in third year b com exam and took the exam again in India, my grades were very low when i graduated. my foundation is very weak. Because i don't have enough money to take GMAT classes, i downloaded official guide 2015 and MGMAT guides. i have also subscribed Magoosh premium package for GMAT prep. Need some serious advice for GMAT preparation as i desire to do MBA from top b schools.i have 7 years of work experience in same company in UAE. Hoping that my experience and recommendation letter would be of some help, i desire to get admitted in top bschools for MBA for which good GMAT score is required. Request you all to give me your valuable suggestion for GMAT preparation.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 am
Hi aspireforgmat,

If your Quant and Verbal foundations are 'weak', then you might want to do some general prep before you start your GMAT studies. Before I can recommend any specific resources, I'd like to know a bit more about your overall timeline and goals:

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

3) Do you have a specific Score goal?
4) Do you have a first-choice Business School (and if so, then what is it?)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rcih
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by aspireforgmat@beatthegmat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:55 am
sir,

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
i plan to take gmat only after i am well prepared

2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
i plan to apply only after my score is good enough to get admission on top b schools in us or canada

3) Do you have a specific Score goal?
no sir i don't have specific score goal. would like to keep trying until i feel the score is good enough to apply in business schools us or canada

4) Do you have a first-choice Business School (and if so, then what is it?)?
i dont have first choice business school until now. depends upon capacity to spend for mba degree. if not in us or canada my last option would be for indian business schools.

Regards
Jayesh Raval

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:28 am
aspireforgmat@beatthegmat wrote:This is for the first time i am writing about my queries.i am confused about how to start my preparation for GMAT. As i failed in third year b com exam and took the exam again in India, my grades were very low when i graduated. my foundation is very weak. Because i don't have enough money to take GMAT classes, i downloaded official guide 2015 and MGMAT guides. i have also subscribed Magoosh premium package for GMAT prep. Need some serious advice for GMAT preparation as i desire to do MBA from top b schools.i have 7 years of work experience in same company in UAE. Hoping that my experience and recommendation letter would be of some help, i desire to get admitted in top bschools for MBA for which good GMAT score is required. Request you all to give me your valuable suggestion for GMAT preparation.

Thanks
In addition to the resources you're currently working with, check out our lessons on our free app: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-iphone-apps/

And sooner rather than later, you'll want to start taking weekly exams and thoroughly breaking down those tests after you take them. A good deal of preparation for the GMAT comes down to cultivating strategic tweaks in your approach to exam questions, as opposed to internalizing huge amounts of material.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:15 am
Hi Jayesh,

Your last series of posts were over 5 months ago; what studying have you been doing (if any) during that time?

Since you haven't really defined any specific goals (goal score, Test Date, Schools), the only advice that you're likely to receive will be generic. As such, I strongly recommend that you think about your 'big picture' goals, so that you can start to design an overall plan. There are a variety of questions that YOU have to answer about what you want out of an MBA and the parameters that are important:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

Once you've determined what type of Program you want to attend (as well as the other variables involved), then you can start to research and narrow down the possibilities. From there, you'll have a better idea of what a competitive GMAT score would be and when you would want to apply.

1) Have you taken any GMAT practice CATs yet? If you have, then how did you score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:24 am
You might consider signing up for Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide).

Each day, you'll receive an email with a series of learning activities that guide you, step-by-step, from Day 1 to test day. This will ensure that you will cover everything that the GMAT tests.

Here's an outline of all 60 emails: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide-outline

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com