Does your GMAT follow you for life?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Does your GMAT follow you for life?

by nycOliviaMBA » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:52 am
Hello, all! I was unsure which forum to post this question in, but this really is a question about culture, not strategy.

For the top-20 b-schools, is it common to have to share your GMAT score with your peers? I mean, is someone going to ask during a study group/happy hour/regular chit chat? That seems like an incredibly rude thing to do, but the GMAT does have a way of popping up beyond MBA admissions... I know finance and consulting recruiters may ask for it, ect.

This question came up because I was joking with my significant other, who is a physician and had to endure the MCAT, that I can't get a bad GMAT because I don't want to keep a crappy score a secret in school (jk jk). He was absolutely dismayed at the prospect that you would ever have to speak of your score in public...ever. He wouldn't dream of asking one of his peers in residency what their score was, but that doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility for MBAers.

So, is that a thing? In b-school are you expected to share your score or is it a huge no-no to ask?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:58 pm
Eh, I don't think it is a huge no-no. After all, many students will put their score on their resume and/or linkedin page, in which case it is visible to the whole world. Although I would never ask someone, it wouldn't be hard to find out if I really wanted to. MBA students are definitely different from medical students, so you might run into quite a few who have no problem asking.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!