MBA after General Surgery Program

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA after General Surgery Program

by empo01 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:30 am
Hi everyone!

In a few months I will finish my residency program to become an general surgeon. I want to learn what I could not study during my degree. This type of thinking really gives me the energy to do the GMAT and to try to get admitted in one top MBA.

What would you recommend me? What MBA program would fit it with my profile?

I don't know whether I should try to focus on MBA programs that are focused on healthcare or not.

Thank you very much!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:05 pm
empo01 wrote:Hi everyone!

In a few months I will finish my residency program to become an general surgeon. I want to learn what I could not study during my degree. This type of thinking really gives me the energy to do the GMAT and to try to get admitted in one top MBA.

What would you recommend me? What MBA program would fit it with my profile?

I don't know whether I should try to focus on MBA programs that are focused on healthcare or not.

Thank you very much!!
What would you like to do with the MBA? Are you planning to go into clinical practice and do other work on the side? While you don't need a program in healthcare, it would make sense with your profile. Without seeing your stats it is hard to recommend a specific program, but Wharton is a great one to target. While some schools do not have dedicated healthcare programs, they have great offerings within an MBA. You should look at Harvard, Berkeley Haas and Kellogg, among others.

If you want a consultation and more specific advice tailored to your profile, send me an email and I will tell you how we can work together on your applications: [email protected]

I would want to know:

Undergrad school / GPA
Medical school
Residency program
Test scores (if you took the GMAT)
Extra-currics (as time has allowed you)

Best,
Scott

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:24 pm
I think you'll need a really good story on why you are going to get an MBA after you have finished your residency program. You don't want to give the impression to the admissions committee that you are just collecting degrees. Honestly, why on earth would you want to go for an MBA right now after spending so much time and money on being a surgeon?
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!