Snowmobiles in Milville!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Snowmobiles in Milville!

by gmat_for_life » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:53 am
Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates
unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.
Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in
winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate
that we put up with the pollution.
Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting
Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the
following?
A. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome can derive from only one set of
circumstances
B. Challenging an assumption that certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects
associated with producing that outcome
C. Maintaining that the benefit that the spokesperson desires could be achieved in greater degree
by a different means
D. Claiming that the spokesperson is deliberately misrepresenting the environmentalist's position
in order to be better able to attack it
E. Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain group of
people actually benefited those people

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 am
gmat_for_life wrote:Environmentalist: The use of snowmobiles in the vast park north of Milville creates
unacceptable levels of air pollution and should be banned.
Milville business spokesperson: Snowmobiling brings many out-of-towners to Milville in
winter months, to the great financial benefit of many local residents. So, economics dictate
that we put up with the pollution.
Environmentalist: I disagree: A great many cross-country skiers are now kept from visiting
Milville by the noise and pollution that snowmobiles generate.
The Environmentalist responds to the business spokesperson by doing which of the
following?
A. Challenging an assumption that a certain desirable outcome can derive from only one set of
circumstances
B. Challenging an assumption that a certain desirable outcome is outweighed by negative aspects
associated with producing that outcome
C. Maintaining that the benefit that the spokesperson desires could be achieved in greater degree
by a different means
D. Claiming that the spokesperson is deliberately misrepresenting the environmentalist's position
in order to be better able to attack it
E. Denying that an effect that the spokesperson presents as having benefited a certain group of
people actually benefited those people
The question stem and the answer choices seem to have been written by a non-native speaker with an incomplete grasp of proper grammar:
The articles in red are missing, and the phrase in blue is unidiomatic.
I would ignore this CR.
What is the source?
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3