Discuss GMAT score in optional essay with 44Q, 740 total?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I retook the GMAT yesterday (in time for all my schools' application deadlines) and scored a 740 total, but still got 44Q (57th percentile for the latter, but 97th percentile for total). I got 7 (81st percentile) on IR.

I believe the rule of thumb is typically to briefly address in the optional essay why your score does not accurately reflect your skill if you get below 60th percentile on either section.

Should I do so, even though my overall score is quite high? I have solid things to say (I was a consultant for 6 years, built 10+ financial models, majored in Econ with quant coursework beyond basic requirements), but (a) I'm wondering whether it's highly unnecessary and thus to go into it would show I lack perspective and (b) I'm already talking about my current unemployment in the essay, so don't want to make it a laundry list.

Additional context: both my recommenders will be briefly mentioning my strong analytical skills in their recs. I got a 710 on my first GMAT, with 40Q (46th percentile).

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:29 am
Hi sjsjsj,

With a 740, you have a score that is well above the 90th percentile overall, so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. You're ultimately asking an Admissions question though, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about this (and your overall profile). There's a Forum full of them here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-an-mba-a ... t-f40.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:45 am
A 44 on quant does not need an explanation. As Rich said, you have an excellent score overall; schools rarely care about discrepancies between Q and V if the overall score is above a 700. You also have information from your recommenders, and presumably a transcript showing some quant work in undergrad.

A 44 already indicates a strong ability level, even though the percentile feels low. Here's more on why you should ignore percentiles: https://www.beatthegmat.com/verbal-94-bu ... tml#764004

Good luck!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education