25 integers are written on a board. Are there at least two

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
25 integers are written on a board. Are there at least two consecutive integers among them?

1: If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change.

2: At least one value occurs more than once in the list.

OA: C

P.S: Got it wrong (I chose E). So,would request explanation from Experts.
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Mon May 18, 2015 6:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

distinct values

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 14, 2015 2:42 am
As Brent notes in his post below, the wording in statement 1 is ambiguous.
I believe that the following represents the intent of the problem:
25 integers are written on a board. Are there at least two consecutive integers among them?

1: If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change.

2: At least one value occurs more than once in the list.[/color]
Each of the cases tested below is composed of integers in ASCENDING ORDER.
{1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2} implies the following 25 integers:
{1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2}.

Statement 1: If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change
Test one case that also satisfies statement 2.
Case 1: {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2}, for a total of two distinct values
Here, if 1 increases to 2, or if 2 increases to 3, the list will still contain two distinct values.
In this case, the list contains at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the question stem is YES.

Test one case that doesn't also satisfy statement 2.
Case 2: {1, 3, 5...45, 47, 49}, for a total of 25 distinct values
Here, if any integer in the list increases by 1, the list will still contain 25 distinct values.
In this case, the list does not contain at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the questions stem is NO.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: At least one value occurs more than once in the list
Case 1 also satisfies statement 2.
In Case 1, the list contains at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the question stem is YES.
Case 3: {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 1}
In this case, the list does not contain at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the questions stem is NO.
INSUFFICIENT.

Statements combined:
Case 1 satisfies both statements.

Try adjusting Case 1 so that it does NOT contain at least two consecutive integers.
Case 4: {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 3}, for a total of two distinct values
Not viable:
If one of the 1's increases to 2, then the number of distinct values will increase from two to three, violating the constraint in statement 1.
Implication:
To satisfy both statements, the list MUST contain at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the question stem is YES.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu May 14, 2015 5:10 am
edit: the original poster has since edited the question. The question was originally worded as follows:

(1) For every value in the list, if the value is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change.
(2) At least one value occurs more than once in the list.
---------------------

I'm not a big fan of this question. In my opinion, it's somewhat ambiguous.
I first read statement 1 to mean that we are increasing every value by one. Of course, this would have no effect on the number of distinct values in the list (in any situation), so I had to re-read statement 1 to see if there's another possible interpretation.
It seems that the author's intent is for us to add 1 to a single value in the list.
This intent could be phrased as "If ANY value in the list is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change."

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Mon May 18, 2015 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:22 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:25 integers are written on a board. Are there at least two consecutive integers among them?

2: At least one value occurs more than once in the list.
Statement 1: If any single value is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change
Case 1: {1, 1, 1...2}, for a total of two distinct values
Here, if 1 increases to 2, or if 2 increases to 3, the list will still contain two distinct values.
In this case, the list contains at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the question stem is YES.
This is fine. A quick question although - how many 1s you've considered here ? I think, 24 number of 1s. Right ? If yes, then in the below Case 4, there are also 24 number of 1s, I guess. Then how statement 1 is NOT valid in this Case 4 ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Statements combined:
Case 1 satisfies both statements.

Try adjusting Case 1 so that it does NOT contain at least two consecutive integers.
Case 4: {1, 1, 1...3}, for a total of two distinct values
Not viable:
If one of the 1's increases to 2, then the number of distinct values will increase from two to three, violating the constraint in statement 1.
Implication:
To satisfy both statements, the list MUST contain at least two consecutive integers, so the answer to the question stem is YES.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is C.
It should also satisfy statement 1, like Case 1. ONLY difference between Case 1 & 4 is, I think, Case 1 contains one "2" and Case 4 contains one "3". Rest of the part of both of these two cases is having same data i.e. 24 number of 1s. Right ?

Please clarify.
Last edited by RBBmba@2014 on Mon May 18, 2015 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu May 14, 2015 7:28 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:I'm not a big fan of this question. In my opinion, it's somewhat ambiguous.
I first read statement 1 to mean that we are increasing every value by one. Of course, this would have no effect on the number of distinct values in the list (in any situation), so I had to re-read statement 1 to see if there's another possible interpretation.
It seems that the author's intent is for us to add 1 to a single value in the list.
This intent could be phrased as "If ANY value in the list is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change."

Cheers,
Brent
Brent - I got trapped in the same line! If statement 1 were to mean that we are increasing every value by one then, I think, both the statements combined it'd be NOT possible to reach to a DEFINITE conclusion, hence OA would be E. Right ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu May 14, 2015 7:54 am
You're right - in that case, the correct answer would be E.
By the way, I did a quick search and found that several others have made similar interpretations of statement 1.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: Statement 1: For every value in the list, if the value is increased by 1, the number of distinct values in the list does not change
Case 1: {1, 1, 1...2}, for a total of two distinct values
This is fine. A quick question although - how many 1s you've considered here ? I think, 24 number of 1s. Right ?
Correct.
I've added the following clarification to my post above:
Each of the cases tested below is composed of integers in ASCENDING ORDER.
{1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2} implies the following 25 integers:
{1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2}

As per Brent's post, I've also reworded Statement 1, which now reads as follows:
If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.
If yes, then in the below Case 4, there are also 24 number of 1s, I guess.Then how statement 1 is NOT valid in this Case 4 ?
Case 1: {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2}
Here, there are TWO distinct values (1 and 3).
Option A:
If one of the 1's increases by 1 to yield a 2, we get the following list:
{1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2}.
In the resulting list, there are still TWO distinct values (1 and 2).
Option B:
If the 2 increases by 1 to yield a 3, we get the following list:
{1, 1, 1...1, 1, 3}.
In the resulting list, there are still TWO distinct values (1 and 3).
Thus, Case 1 satisfies the constraint in statement 1:
If any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.

Case 4: {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 3}
Here, there are TWO distinct values (1 and 3).
Option A:
If one of the 1's increases by 1 to yield a 2, we get the following list:
{1, 1, 1...1, 2, 3}.
In the resulting list, there are THREE distinct values (1, 2 and 3) -- VIOLATING the constraint that if any single value in the list is increased by 1, the number of different values in the list does not change.
Thus, Case 4 does NOT satisfy statement 1.
ONLY difference between Case 1 & 4 is, I think, Case 1 contains one "2" and Case 4 contains one "3". Rest of the part of both of these two cases is having same data i.e. 24 number of 1s. Right ?
Correct.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:17 am
Yes, now OA will be C as the question is reworded. Thanks Guys!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jain2016 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:48 am
Test one case that doesn't also satisfy statement 2.
Here, if any integer in the list increases by 1, the list will still contain 25 distinct values.
INSUFFICIENT.
Hi Mitch ,

Everything is cleared just one thing.

we have {1, 3, 5...45, 47, 49} if 1 increases to 2 or 47 increases to 48 , then in this case, the list contain at least two consecutive integers. So how how come this statement is insufficient?

Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:59 pm
jain2016 wrote:Hi Mitch ,

Everything is cleared just one thing.

we have {1, 3, 5...45, 47, 49} if 1 increases to 2 or 47 increases to 48 , then in this case, the list contain at least two consecutive integers. So how how come this statement is insufficient?

Please advise and correct me if I am wrong.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ
Statement 1:
The list of values in Case 1 is {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2}.
Since this list contains at least two consecutive integers, the answer to the question stem is YES.
The list of values in Case 2 is {1, 3, 5...45, 47, 49}.
Since this list does NOT contain at least two consecutive integers, the answer to the question stem is NO.

Since the answer is YES in Case 1 but NO in Case 2, statement 1 is INSUFFICIENT.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by jain2016 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:25 pm
Hi Mitch ,

Thanks for your reply, but I still have a doubt.
In the above case we increased the 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 , so this shows that the list contain at least two consecutive integers. Answer to the question is YES.

INSUFFICIENT.

Here, in the above case we did not increase any number such as 2 to 3 or 45 to 46. Why?

Please advise.

Thanks ,

SJ

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:28 am
Question stem:
Among the 25 INTEGERS WRITTEN ON THE BOARD, are any two consecutive?
jain2016 wrote:
In the above case we increased the 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 , so this shows that the list contain at least two consecutive integers. Answer to the question is YES.
The portion in red uses the wrong list to answer the question stem.
When we answer the question stem, we must use the original 25 INTEGERS WRITTEN ON THE BOARD.

In Case 1, the original 25 INTEGERS WRITTEN ON THE BOARD are {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2}.
As shown in my post above, this case satisfies statement 1.
Since {1, 1, 1...1, 1, 2} includes at least two consecutive integers -- the two integers in blue -- the answer to the question stem is YES.
INSUFFICIENT.

In Case 2, the original 25 INTEGERS WRITTEN ON THE BOARD are {1, 3, 5...45, 47, 49}.
As shown in my post above, this case also satisfies statement 1.
Since {1, 3, 5...45, 47, 49} does NOT include at least two consecutive integers, the answer to the question stem is NO.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by jain2016 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:49 am
Hi Mitch ,

Many thanks for your reply. All clear now.

Thanks,

SJ