Discuss GMAT score in optional essay with 44Q (57th %ile), 7

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I retook the GMAT yesterday (in time for all my schools' application deadlines) and scored a 740 total, but still got 44Q (57th percentile for the latter, but 97th percentile for total). I got 7 (81st percentile) on IR.

I believe the rule of thumb is typically to briefly address in the optional essay why your score does not accurately reflect your skill if you get below 60th percentile on either section.

Should I do so, even though my overall score is quite high? I have solid things to say (I was a consultant for 6 years, built 10+ financial models, majored in Econ with quant coursework beyond basic requirements), but (a) I'm wondering whether it's highly unnecessary and thus to go into it would show I lack perspective and (b) I'm already talking about my current unemployment in the essay, so don't want to make it a laundry list.

Additional context: both my recommenders will be briefly mentioning my strong analytical skills in their recs. I got a 710 on my first GMAT, with 40Q (46th percentile).

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:760

by Indradeep » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:44 pm
Hi,
Absolutely. I would say that you should explain not only the low GMAT Quant score but also anything that you would want the admissions committee to know of, which did not necessarily come out in your application.
In order to make the additional essay not look too much of a laundry list, you could weave in a story or a way to connect the things you are mentioning in the essay. If it reads well and doesn't stand out, the admissions team wouldn't mind at all.
Often students try to over analyse the purpose of a section in the application, i.e. additional essay. It may be best to write down your side of the story and let the admissions team decide for themselves.
I would also ask you to think a bit about this dichotomy - you are clearly quite quants focussed but yet your score doesn't reflect so. Rather than mentioning that you have built models and major in quant focussed coursework, I would urge you to think why your score doesn't reflect your abilities (clearly it doesn't) and address that - i.e. maybe a section or a particular question type on Quants - why is that happening and how can you demonstrate that weakness isn't necessarily relevant to you. The more soul searching you do now, the easier it is to explain this.
Hope this helps.
--
Indradeep Mazumdar
Free Profile/Application Evaluation
MBA Coach and Admissions Expert
Show Me The Mantra
showmethemantra.com
[email protected]