480 GMAT.. Chances?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

480 GMAT.. Chances?

by mb8820 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:28 pm
Hey guys, I really need some advice. I am a University of Miami graduate with a bachelors degree in Computer Information Systems. I graduated with a 3.75 GPA, top 10% of business school, have excellent recommendations but I can't seem to crack the GMAT. I attempted it two times, first time I studied for about 2 months and I got a 480 (very low math score, good english) and I re-attempted it a couple of days ago and got another dismal 460. I know this seems like such an over-used excuse but standardized tests are not a strong point. I did very well on math related courses in school however.

Anyway, my top choice is University of Miami MBA and second choice is a Masters in MIS at Florida International University. UM's average GMAT is 600 while FIU requires a minimum of 500. Deadlines are approaching and I really want to get into these programs starting in Fall. What do you think I should do? Go ahead with it? I am so upset that I worked hard for 4 years and achieved so well in undergraduate just so my GMAT can block me from furthering my education.

Thanks for your help!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Prateek29 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:40 pm
I can understand your pain. I too find it unfair that a stupid exam like the GMAT determines which b school we go to. Admissions should be given primarily on undergraduate performance. Some undergrad courses do not have so much math like in the GMAT and so it does become difficult. 480 is good but not competitive. At least 500 is required. If I may suggest a school try university of Michigan - flint. Their avg 450. Do well in the first year of the MBA. Try to get a gpa of 3 and above and then transfer your credits to good university. This way you might get the degree from the university of your choice. Do your research and let me know how you're doing?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sieken » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:59 am
Don't be discouraged, though you should definitely wait to apply until next year otherwise you will be forced into a non-competitive MBA which is arguably a waste of money. When I began taking the GMAT, I couldn't get out of the 500s with my math holding me back. I would very VERY strongly recommend you take a GMAT prep class. It's around $1000 but will make every bit of difference. I began studying on my own for 3 to 4 hours per day for 2 months before I signed up for the class. I went through the entire Manhattan GMAT book set and my score only increased a measly 30 points from 550 to 580. With this performance, I signed up for the VeritasPrep class and I was getting in the 700s after the class was over on my practice tests. I've since been accepted into Cornell and I'm waitlisted at Haas, so don't lose hope! A class is crucial.

Followed by:1 members

by mb8820 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:49 pm
Got in! Did the GRE, which asks questions in a more HUMAN manner haha I would definitely recommend trying all your options people. If the school accepts the two exams try your shot. It definitely beats waiting one more year.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:40 am
Congrats, that's awesome!

Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:09 pm
Prateek29 wrote:If I may suggest a school try university of Michigan - flint. Their avg 450. Do well in the first year of the MBA. Try to get a gpa of 3 and above and then transfer your credits to good university. This way you might get the degree from the university of your choice.
None of the top 20 bschools that I've seen allow transfer students.

It may suck, but for anyone else in this boat, they should definitely retake the exam. No offense, but if they have to decide whether an undergraduate GPA or the GMAT is going to be predictive of your performance in bschool, they'll assume the GMAT is, since that's in theory what the GMAT is designed to measure. GPAs wildly vary across the country and even within a university.

So awesome that the GRE worked for you!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 am
Congrats on getting in!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by jagdishpatra2003 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:40 am
got the same score on my first attempt, and got accepted by HULT SF campus, with my extraordinary entrepreneurial profile and running two companies i feel MBA will enhance my skills so i think ill go ahead with HULT this fall without waiting for another year.
pls give ur inputs
thanks

by aspengler10 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 am
I feel that I am currently in a similar situation now (looking at UMiami)....

I recently graduated from Johns Hopkins (2013) with a 3.25gpa as an economics major. Also, standardized tests have never been my strong suit (mundane excuse, yet true).

I currently work in real estate and definitely want to pursue my MBA (sooner than later). I came across UMiami's Accelerated MBA Real Estate program and became very intrigued. However, I know the acceptance rate is around 20% since it only a 65 student cohort. I also saw the average GMAT score (slightly higher) translated to around a 320 combined GRE score which is higher than what I am currently scoring on practice tests (~305-310).

I think resume, GPA, work experience, and recommendations will be on par with what admissions is looking for, however GRE could very well be lower. Any recommendations? Do you mind sharing what your final GRE score was so I can get a ball park estimate? Thank you!

by hnainani » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:15 am
Ya I am in a similar situation too and it will help to know how much you scored in GRE and weight my chances too.

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:17 pm
With those scores, I would highly suggest you take it again. BUT, work with a test prep company this time around. Especially for someone who did so well in undergraduate, it is kinda shocking to score so low, regardless of whether or not you are good at taking standardized tests. For the copule thousand bucks it might cost for prep, it will be worth it in the long run. Good luck to you!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!