Method of argument

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Method of argument

by dhirajdas53 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:49 am
University X has announced that its library will not be open during the summer. Students attending classes during the summer have protested, saying that the library has research materials that cannot be borrowed from any one public library in the area. The university administration has countered that all university library materials can be accessed online through computers that are provided to all students for free by the university.

Which of the following best describes a method of argument used by the university administration?

A. The administration counters a proposal with an alternative.
B. The administration incorrectly makes an assumption about student preferences.
C. The administration provides an explanation that it assumes will clarify its decision.
D. The administration defends its actions by criticizing the logic of its opponents.
E. The administration makes an unwarranted assumption about the motives of some of the students.

will provide answer after some response

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am
IMO D

Here is my reasoning.
If library is closed Students won't be able to access the information for their research; this information won't be available in any public library.
University Administration countered their argument by saying that they have the access to that information through computers, which is provided by university for free.

A - administration does provide any alternative.(keeping this option)
B - yes they does make this assumption but we aren't sure about its correctness.
C - they did provide the explanation but assumption part is bit far fetched over here.
D - That what my conclusion is.
E - Not true.

So between A and D, I feel D is better.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

by sonalibhangay » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 am
My Contenders are C and D.

But surely D proves stronger as the University counters logic by replying all material is available to all students.

by mohit_1607 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 pm
+1 for D

In Option A, I don't think that a proposal is being made by the students.Therefore, the point of countering the proposal doesn't arise.

In Option C, there is no mention of the protest from the students to which the university is responding.The statement is straightforwardly mentioning that the university is providing an explanation as to why it has shut down its library.
Polish your skills till you achieve perfection.

Followed by:2 members

by srcc25anu » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:54 pm
IMO it should be A.

A. The administration counters a proposal with an alternative. Counters and Correctly suggests an alternative.
B. The administration incorrectly makes an assumption about student preferences. No assumptions made by admin.
C. The administration provides an explanation that it assumes will clarify its decision. No assumptions
D. The administration defends its actions by criticizing the logic of its opponents. Does NOT criticize student actions
E. The administration makes an unwarranted assumption about the motives of some of the students. No assumptions made.[/b]

by umeshpatil » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm
One more for A+

Followed by:1 members

by binit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:02 am
My thoughts:
A) Students protested against the university decision and did not offer a PROPOSAL.
B) ASSUMPTIONS seems to be an understatement for the administration's decision.
C) "Explanation to clarify its decision" is not entirely wrong but the excerpt: "university administration has countered" demands more.
D) The administration actually "defends its action" of the closure of the library by "criticizing the logic of its opponents" that the study materials were not available anywhere other than the library. Correct.
E) Neither a clear assumption by administration nor any motives of students found.

Followed by:2 members

by Amrabdelnaby » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:13 am
Definitely A
srcc25anu wrote:IMO it should be A.

A. The administration counters a proposal with an alternative. Counters and Correctly suggests an alternative.
B. The administration incorrectly makes an assumption about student preferences. No assumptions made by admin.
C. The administration provides an explanation that it assumes will clarify its decision. No assumptions
D. The administration defends its actions by criticizing the logic of its opponents. Does NOT criticize student actions
E. The administration makes an unwarranted assumption about the motives of some of the students. No assumptions made.[/b]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:26 pm
I received a PM requesting that I comment.
The OA to this CR is A:
The administration counters a proposal with an alternative.
What proposal does the administration counter?
The students have registered a COMPLAINT -- that the library has research materials that cannot be borrowed from any one public library in the area -- but they have not issued a PROPOSAL.
Eliminate A.

I would ignore this CR.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by binit » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:33 pm
Thanks a lot for your comment Mitch.
I had doubt about the quality of this CR as A has some basic issues.

I wish I wouldn't have wasted time on this.