Which schools should I target? Exceptional GRE, Goal: MBB

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I'm applying in 1 year. I'm looking for areas to improve my profile. Note that I'm going for relatively high impact, low effort areas. I've already had 3 different admissions consultants tell me that taking the GMAT isn't worth my time at this point, though I'd love to hear your opinion.

Work experience:
3 years FT experience, 4 @ application, 5 @ matriculation

Lead Coordinator @ major telco (AT&T, Verizon), promoted from Sr. Analyst, promoted from Analyst intern(skipped Jr. Analyst), youngest on team by 10 years. Work in an operations consulting role, highly mathematical, regularly work with Latin American group.

Interned at big wealth management firm in UG(GS, Merrill, UBS)

Interned at small tech company in UG

Interned at boutique bank in UG
PT job in undergrad @ F500 retailer (15-35 hours a week)

Extra-curriculars:
Treasurer of Emerging professionals network, organized joint company mixer between multiple F500s that we interact with(headed marketing, dealt with financing issues, etc.)
Tutoring inner city children in math(1x/week during school year)
Painting/Maintenance work at different inner city school (1x/year)
Taught impoverished children in Latin America + worked on construction of new school
Leading workshops at business club I was VP of during undergrad + admining their facebook page + graphic design
Bodybuilding, went up 65-70 lbs between age 16(rail thin) to age 26. I'm now average/muscular instead of "anorexic".
VP of Business Club in UG - still regularly in touch with the organization, give speeches ~1x/year, offer to take on mentees
Take on mentees I come across on various web forums/my undergrad university. One guy read a post I made while he was in HS, ended up getting a full ride at a decent private uni due to said advice. Another transferred from my UG to a better one and is now in IBD.

Undergrad school/major: Mid Tier UC(Davis, Irvine, Santa Barbara) Math-Econ, minors in Stats + Accounting

Grad school/major: Specialized business major at rank 25 business school (USNEWS rank), company sponsored(5k/year), part-time w/ 33% scholarship from the school.

Other education/coursework:
Race/nationality: Caucasian/American
GMAT: M

Stats
GRE Score: converts to GMAT 770. Q(97%ile), V(95), AWA(98)
Undergrad GPA: 3.47GPA (3.24GPA if including repeats from first year, 3.39 if only looking at the uni I graduated from)
Grad GPA: 3.8+ (started first semester, on track for all As)
Misc: Intermediate Spanish, beginning Portuguese

MBA Info
Goal of MBA: Consulting MBB

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:05 am
If your GRE converts to a 770 GMAT, I agree that taking the GMAT would not be prudent.

Are you presently doing much community services (all of the extra-curriculars seem to be in the past)? If not, look for volunteering opportunities and if so, look to improve your community citizen by deepening your commitment through seeking out leadership positions in your existing activities.

Within your job, are there any cross-functional task forces or other ways for your to expand your responsibility and leadership?

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by xultima » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:40 pm
Thank you for your response.

It does according to ETS's tool. I actually looked at the figures they got from OLS regression and the score pops out as a 766... close enough to 770 for government work.
Finished my first semester in the MS I'm doing. Perfect 4.00 so far.

My ECs are ALL present and ongoing (other than not being as heavily involved in my UG business club - it's a 50 mile drive. I usually speak once a year there and help board members prep for interviews, polish their resumes etc.)
I don't know how viable it would be to get a leadership role in those ECs at this time given the fact that I'm stretched relatively thin between work full time and near full time grad school. I'm basically sacrificing every other lunch period and a lot of my weekends already.

I've had a few cases where I've had to work with marketing and engineering to get data. I've also had to work with the analogous group in the Fortune 50 company that acquired us this last year(joined the F50 company via a merger from another F500 company).