Need help with explanation of low master's GPA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi!

I'm applying to several US schools and going to submit all of my applications by the Round 2 deadlines but I have one obstacle on my way. I am not sure how to properly explain my low masters degree GPA (3.5 out of 5.3). Just to let you know My undergrad GPA is the maximum possible 5.0/5.0 and in addition to all of this I have 760 total GMAT score.

The reason of my low master's GPA is the illness of my grandma. Because of this illnes my mother was very upset all the time and I had to fly often to my hometown to help her somehow overcome this situation. Despite all of this I was able to increase my GPA from 3.3 in the first year to 3.7 in the second year making my overall GPA 3.5. In my primary focus on financial subjects, I had a GPA of 4.0.

Could you advise me what is a better choice in my case: raise the issue by explaining the circumstances provided above or just to write nothing in the optional essay?

Waiting for your reply!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:19 pm
I know it is a bit late but what approach did you choose. I probably would have gone the say nothing route as this seems a bit hard to explain and may come across as making excuses. Hope it went well!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Andre Torres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm
Dear,

First of all, I hope you figured out a way to make your GPA work in your application. I too am very curious about how you chose to handle the issue, so please share this with us.

Secondly, I would like to provide my advice for the sake of applicants in similar situations.

I don't see a problem with mentioning the reason for your low GPA for one or two paragraphs in the optional essay. It's the reality. Moreover I believe acknowledging that there is a problem, instead of pretending the admission committee isn't going to notice it, will benefit you.

However it shouldn't be the center of your essay or be presented in an apologetic manner. You don't want to make it look like a bad excuse.
Admission Consultant at MBAitNOW
Visit mbaitnow.com and sign up for a FREE consultation.

by Andre Torres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm
Dear,

First of all, I hope you figured out a way to make your GPA work in your application. I too am very curious about how you chose to handle the issue, so please share this with us.

Secondly, I would like to provide my advice for the sake of applicants in similar situations.

I don't see a problem with mentioning the reason for your low GPA for one or two paragraphs in the optional essay. It's the reality. Moreover I believe acknowledging that there is a problem, instead of pretending the admission committee isn't going to notice it, will benefit you.

However it shouldn't be the center of your essay or be presented in an apologetic manner. You don't want to make it look like a bad excuse.

by Andre Torres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:09 pm
Dear,