Please review

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Please review

by Amrabdelnaby » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:16 am
Hello Pros :)

Can someone please review my essay and let me know what he/she thinks?

It's my first attempt.

Thanks

The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:

"The inflow of immigrant workers into our community has put a downward pressure on wages. In fact, the average compensation of unskilled labor in our city has declined by nearly 10% over the past 5 years. Therefore, to protect our local economy, it is essential to impose a moratorium on further immigration."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The argument above is assuming that the reason being the downward pressure on wages is the inflow of immigrant workers. Although both may have occurred in the same time, we can not for sure depict a cause and effect relationship here. Perhaps the two events simply occurred in the same time by chance. Moreover, the statistics offered to support this argument is only supported the fact that there is a downward pressure on the wages, yet it is not supporting any relation between the two events mentioned above. Also it is important to note that the above statistics only site the average compensation of unskilled work labor, assuming that unskilled workers are the same as immigrant workers, meaning that, immigrant workers are unskilled labor. Also mentioning "our city" implies that the sample of this city is representative in general of the statement mentioned in the beginning of the editorial section. In fact this statement is a general statement, and the sample may not be representative of the general statement. As for the conclusion, the author assumed that the only or main problem of the downward pressure on wages is be cause of the inflow of immigrants, meaning that there are no other factors, or other major factors that need consideration except this one, and hence, the author suggested that imposing a moratorium will solve the problem. Furthermore, it is important to mention that the author also assumed that the downward pressure on wages is affecting the local economy and by stopping or ceasing it we will protect the local economy. the author could have showed more relationship between local economy and wages, immigrant workers and unskilled labor, statistics and the general statement. By showing relationship between statistics and general statement, I mean to show that the sample is representative.