In desperate need of an advice

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

In desperate need of an advice

by keerthika » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:48 pm
Hi,

I have been preparing for GMAT since October'15 and my exam is in 4 days (11th Dec'15). I took the first GMAT prep test & scored 590, and then took Manhattan prep test last night and scored 610 (Q44, V31). I have been aiming for a 700+. So, in a very panic state after looking at these scores.

While solving on paper, I could able to solve most of the question except SC. But in my first practice test I was unable to finish all the questions on time. In each section I had to leave about 8 questions. So for the second practice test I have decided to complete all the questions in time and was able to do it but noticed that many were answered incorrectly (including Quant section :().

I want to improve the score and just 4 days left. Please provide some suggestions.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:20 pm
Hi keerthika,

Since you've been studying a certain way for almost 2 months, you're probably not going to be able to make enough big adjustments to how you handle the GMAT to raise your score 90+ points in 4 days. Since it's too late to pay to reschedule your Test, you should take it with the goal of learning everything that you can from the overall experience. You'll then be able to use that knowledge when you retake the GMAT later.

When you reviewed these CATs, how many questions did you get wrong because of a silly/little mistake? THOSE little mistakes should be the immediate focus - if you can eliminate those mistakes, then your scores should improve. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) on the study process, so it's understandable that you'd be making these mistakes now - it takes time to hone your skills and consistently score at a higher level.

1) What resources have you been using so far during your studies?
2) When do you plan to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by keerthika » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:46 pm
Thank you Rich for the prompt reply!

As I said in the first CAT, I couldn't able to answer about 8 questions in each section. But out of those which I have answered, there were like 5 to 6 were wrong only because of a little mistake. As I understood this was mainly due to the time pressure. I was in so much hurry to finish all the questions on time that I skipped much of the information given in the question and chosen a wrong answer.

1. Coming to my preparation I have used:

The official GMAT guide 2015 (Wiley) & Manhattan

2. I have initially planned to apply for the coming round (Jan 2016) itself. But I think I have to reconsider based on my test results this week.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:28 am
Hi keerthika,

Let's see how this particular GMAT goes and we can talk through how you can adjust your studies after. You might find it worthwhile to post in the General Strategy Forum - you'll receive more responses and a broader range of advice:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-strategy-f3.html

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]