More than MGMAT & OG? - Quantitive section

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I'm currently preparing for GMAT and require your valuable inputs to further practice the concepts learned.

Well, So far I have done (doing) below materials -

OG13 -
Good to start but not the best explanations. Nevertheless, I found this very valuable to set the directions.
Manhattan -
I'm currently doing this series to build upon my concepts and skills. Books are concise and well put but exercises part is too humble.
I need to know about various sources to immediately practice upon my concepts learnt thru this material. I repeat official material in parallel though.

I'm bit anxious if both of these materials prepares me for 700 level questions as I still haven't tested myself with full length practice test.

I follow different materials especially for verbal part as I'm weak on that side. I'm totally aware of online sources and follow various discussions.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions from practice perspective for both sections. Hopefully I will continue working on my concepts.

Thanks.

Hope this is the right forum to put this question !!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:09 am
Harisingh Khedar,

It sounds like you're early on in your studies. Is that true?

Since you admit to not having taking a CAT yet, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can talk through your study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:08 am
Harisingh Khedar wrote:Hi,

I'm currently preparing for GMAT and require your valuable inputs to further practice the concepts learned.

Well, So far I have done (doing) below materials -

OG13 -
Good to start but not the best explanations. Nevertheless, I found this very valuable to set the directions.
Manhattan -
I'm currently doing this series to build upon my concepts and skills. Books are concise and well put but exercises part is too humble.
I need to know about various sources to immediately practice upon my concepts learnt thru this material. I repeat official material in parallel though.

I'm bit anxious if both of these materials prepares me for 700 level questions as I still haven't tested myself with full length practice test.

I follow different materials especially for verbal part as I'm weak on that side. I'm totally aware of online sources and follow various discussions.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions from practice perspective for both sections. Hopefully I will continue working on my concepts.

Thanks.

Hope this is the right forum to put this question !!!!
Hi Hari,

Several inputs from my ends are as follows:

1) OG-13 is outdated now and doesn't contain all the practice stuff that one MUST practice to be prepared very well for the exam GMAT. Most questions (even from the latest editions of OG) are either easy or Medium level and don't provide you the material for 700 level.
Even Manhattan given you the practice of a specific set of questions with a small number of questions which even if qualified on level of difficulty, doesn't deserve thumbs-up as sufficient practice material of required level to be practised.

2) You must test yourself with a Full Length Practice to test your level and find my observations and suggestion more relevant and trustworthy.

3) Referring to any and every material is considered a bad habit for majority of students as they lack the real focus that GMAT preparation requires. While it's important to practice more material, it's also equally important that you practice relevant and good material. So please refer to the suggested and tested material only. (manhattan and OG are good stuff to practice from but not sufficient stuff to practice)

4) If you are weak at some specific part then you may consider taking expert help (suggestion) as I wouldn't suggest someone just to spend $250 just to have a feeling and not get a desired score in GMAT when the result is predictable to some extent.Expert help may be a little cheaper or equally expensive but it can help you get avoid any probably loss of time, effort and money all.

I hope you find the suggestions and observations helpful. In case, you consider taking expert help, I (being a 99 percentiler Tutor) offer you to take a FREE ONLINE ONE-ON-ONE SKYPE BASED DEMO CLASS with us and decide the quality of class on your own. You can reach me on [email protected]
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

by Harisingh Khedar » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:47 pm
Hi Rich,

Yes you may say that I'm in my early stages of preparation as I started only two months back.
After I took the official diagnostic test, I came to know about my weaker areas and started working diligently using specified materials.

Now that I'm about to finish with this material, I would take a full length test and gauge my performance. As I plan to score 700+, I realize I will require more practice(?) to consolidate on concepts learnt and acquire that precision needed to hit 700 level questions.

One possible way is to refer other sources (Online forums, practice tests, courses etc. ) to further consolidate the concept application. May be I'm trying to know how to prepare myself better for every other pratice test? I plan to take exam early next year (Jan-feb) and apply later same year.

Thanks for help !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 pm
Hi.

For categorized quant questions, you could set up a practice account in the GMAT area of https://BellCurves.com. I have seen people get a lot out of those quant questions. The explanations are not always great, but in many of the categories there are great tricky questions.

There are other question banks that you can buy or use for free. In addition, if you just want maybe a half dozen more questions in a category, you could do a search for say "gmat overlapping sets questions" and find blogs and stuff that contain questions in that category.

On another note, it does seem to be time for you to take a practice test, partly because your prep will go better if it is to a degree test driven. I mean once you have taken a test and seen what about it challenges you and what you need to get better at to score higher, you will have a clearer sense of how your preparation should go.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:25 am
Harisingh Khedar,

If you've been studying for 2 months, then it's DEFINITELY time to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections). Taking FULL CATs at regular intervals (1 CAT every 1-2 weeks) is an important part of the study process. Since you haven't been taking CATs, there are a number of skills that you have not yet developed - as a result, it's possible that your first CAT score will not necessarily make you happy. That's okay though, since it will be your first one and you'll be taking plenty more in the coming weeks and months. Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can talk about your study plan going forward.

Rich

by Harisingh Khedar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:58 am
Hi Rich,

I just took my first full-length practice test and you were right to predict that it could disappoint me at first.

Score - 520 (Q44, V19)

After I analyzed the reports, I found below set of problems -

I just couldn't deal with timed test. I felt nervous throughout the test and found difficulty in applying concepts.
Problem was more evident in verbal section where I faulted in series of questions (RC in particular) as I skimmed through last few passages. Also, I found it difficult to comprehend the CR questions and make suitable judgement given less time in hand. SC was OK.
I feel, series of wrong questions reflects too much on bad score !!
I felt lack of practice in both sections (Verbal - I had worked much on SC) even though I have covered both OG and Manhattan Quant. Manhattan has given plenty of strategies but still i have not found enough sources to apply them all.

I feel obfuscated on how to take the preparations forward. Should I repeat the OG in whole? Should i continue to attempt other CAT from practice perspective? Should I look for strategy guidance? Should I start practicing using timed approach?

Please suggest. I want to improve upon the lacking skills and try another test in a 2-3 weeks.

Appreciate your help !!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:47 am
Harisingh Khedar,

Assuming your score goal is a 700+, you have a lot of work to do to improve to that level. You will probably have to push your Test Date into February so that you can give yourself more time to study and improve.

You've used a 'book-heavy' study plan so far, but many Test Takers end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level when studying in this way. Thus, you might need to invest in some new, non-book study resources. You should do a full review of this CAT (question-by-question) and continue to study as you see fit. After 2 weeks, you should take another FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections), so that we can gauge your progress. If you haven't made much progress in that time, then we'll talk through how you should adjust your study plans. If you'd prefer to make some significant changes now, then just let me know and I'll be happy to offer some suggestions.

Rich