GMAT Prep - adverbial modifier doubt ?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

GMAT Prep - adverbial modifier doubt ?

by sui generis » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:30 am
Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

A. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
B. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
C. act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
D. they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
E. they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

OA: A

My doubt is regarding choice A. Here the by the intended meaning the modifier 'acting ........ over' modifies the previous clause but isn't it ambiguous as it can also modify the following clause.

Are these kind of construction acceptable in GMAT ?

As an analogy citing OG12#3:

Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

Here OG says 'until almost 1900' is ambiguous as it can modify either preceding or following clause.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:28 am
sui generis wrote:Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

A. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate
B. acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth either from burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
C. act as a global thermostat and thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, while also accelerating
D. they act as a global thermostat that thus keeps Earth either from burning up or freezing over, even though it also accelerates
E. they act as a global thermostat to thus keep Earth from either burning up or freezing over, but they also accelerate

My doubt is regarding choice A. Here the by the intended meaning the modifier 'acting ........ over' modifies the previous clause but isn't it ambiguous as it can also modify the following clause.

Are these kind of construction acceptable in GMAT ?

As an analogy citing OG12#3:

Although various eighteenth- and nineteenth-century American poets had professed an interest in Native American poetry and had pretended to imitate Native American forms in their own works, until almost 1900, scholars and critics did not begin seriously to study traditional Native American poetry in native languages.

Here OG says 'until almost 1900' is ambiguous as it can modify either preceding or following clause.
Not all modifiers are the same.

When a PREPOSITIONAL modifier is inserted between two clauses, a reader might struggle to determine which action -- the PRECEDING ACTION or the FOLLOWING ACTION -- is being modified.
In SC3 of the OG12, it is unclear whether poets HAD PRETENDED until almost 1900 or scholars and critics DID NOT BEGIN until almost 1900.

But COMMA + VERBing modifies the nearest PRECEDING action.
This is the DEFAULT interpretation.
Thus, in the OA to the GMATPrep sentence, it is crystal clear that acting and keeping modify how the ice particles reflect and absorb: as the ice particles REFLECT and ABSORB solar radiation, they are at the same time ACTING as a global thermostat and thus KEEPING the earth from either burning up or freezing over.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sui generis » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:34 am
Thanks for the prompt reply and for clearing the doubt.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:03 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
sui generis wrote:Although ice particles in the upper atmosphere benefit Earth in that they reflect and absorb solar radiation, acting as a global thermostat and thus keeping Earth from either burning up or freezing over, they also accelerate the destruction of the ozone layer by reacting with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).

Thus, in the OA to the GMATPrep sentence, it is crystal clear that acting and keeping modify how the ice particles reflect and absorb: as the ice particles REFLECT and ABSORB solar radiation, they are at the same time ACTING as a global thermostat and thus KEEPING the earth from either burning up or freezing over.
Hi GMATGuruNY - could you please shed some light that why it'd be wrong here to interpret that COMMA + VERBing modifies the nearest PRECEDING action of the preceding ALTHOUGH-clause ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:13 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY - could you please shed some light that why it'd be wrong here to interpret that COMMA + VERBing modifies the nearest PRECEDING action of the preceding ALTHOUGH-clause ?
The COMMA + VERBing modifier DOES serve to modify the nearest preceding actions in the preceding although-clause.
As I stated in my post, COMMA + acting is an action that happens at the same time as the ice particles REFLECT and ABSORB -- the nearest preceding actions in the introductory although-clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:14 am
Got you!

But still has a doubt that why and how it'd be wrong here to interpret that the VERBing modifies the nearest action of the following Clause starting with the pronoun THEY ? (Because, I guess, COMMA appears by default after an ALTHOUGH-clause. So, COMMA here is not REALLY associated with the construction of the following VERBing modifier and thus the VERBing modifier appears to be at the beginning of the second IC starting with the pronoun THEY and can modify the nearest action in the FOLLOWING clause!)

Isn't the action/main Verb in the second IC --accelerate-- ALSO the nearest action to the VERBing modifier ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:41 pm
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Got you!

But still has a doubt that why and how it'd be wrong here to interpret that the VERBing modifies the nearest action of the following Clause starting with the pronoun THEY ? (Because, I guess, COMMA appears by default after an ALTHOUGH-clause. So, COMMA here is not REALLY associated with the construction of the following VERBing modifier and thus the VERBing modifier appears to be at the beginning of the second IC starting with the pronoun THEY and can modify the nearest action in the FOLLOWING clause!)

Isn't the action/main Verb in the second IC --accelerate-- ALSO the nearest action to the VERBing modifier ?
A VERBing modifier immediately preceded by a comma serves to express an action concurrent with the nearest PRECEDING verb.
Even if the comma serves an additional function -- such as setting off an introductory although-clause -- this rule still applies.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3