Optimus Prep GMAT

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Optimus Prep GMAT

by nassrinb » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:50 pm
So, I havn't seen very many people talk about Optimus Prep. I'm just wondering for those who have taken Optimus prep online tutoring and the on-demand course, what did they think of it? Also, what did they think of the CAT tests? I just scored a 630 on one of their CATs but I've never scored that high on any GMAT test previously.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:44 am
Hi nassrinb,

I'd like to know a bit more about what you've done so far and your plans:

1) Are you just starting out your studies or have you been studying for awhile?
2) What resources have you used?
3) What is your score goal?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

If you're not sure about this particular CAT (and score result), then there are plenty of other reputable CATs that you can be using.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 am
nassrinb wrote:So, I havn't seen very many people talk about Optimus Prep. I'm just wondering for those who have taken Optimus prep online tutoring and the on-demand course, what did they think of it? Also, what did they think of the CAT tests? I just scored a 630 on one of their CATs but I've never scored that high on any GMAT test previously.
Hi nassrinb,

I don't know anything about Optimus Prep, but most third-party practice tests are prone to underestimating your scores (no one ever complains when their real test results are better than their practice test scores :-)).

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 am
The score of any individual practice test has somewhat limited value in terms of assessing where you stand. It's more important to pay attention to your general trend line, and whether you're acquiring useful strategies for attacking questions that may once have given you trouble or been time-consuming. So break that practice test down, make a list of things you could improve on, and post any questions that you struggled with here. Then do some drilling and take another exam next week. Either make it one from another prep company, or one of the GMATPrep tests from mba.com: https://www.mba.com/global/the-gmat-exam ... tware.aspx

Keep us posted...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by luiszamorazapata » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:03 am
nassrinb wrote:So, I havn't seen very many people talk about Optimus Prep. I'm just wondering for those who have taken Optimus prep online tutoring and the on-demand course, what did they think of it? Also, what did they think of the CAT tests? I just scored a 630 on one of their CATs but I've never scored that high on any GMAT test previously.
As an optimusprep gmat student, there are things you should know.

1-Optimus is actually gogmat. GOGMAT is a platform that rents their question banks to new start ups. Optimus is a group of people who join in as tutors and sell courses for extra the course of gogmat, but the question bank and all the course is actually made by GOGMAT.

2-Optimus sells packages for $999.00 USD so that you receive 5 hour tutoring package with a "99th percentile tutor". I bought the gold package since I read so many 5 stars reviews on GMATCLUB. So far, I do not consider the tutors as 99th percentile gmat test takers since they do not show actual mastery of the content. The sessions I have seen are very basic and their advice is simple; advice you can see in any forum.

2-As quality goes, I have seen many questions from Optimus/gogmat are very different from the actual GMAT PREP or Official Guide that you have seen. In fact, I have seen several postings of optimus/gogmat questions in GMATCLUB and many actual GMAT Experts have warned about the question and the official explanation given from Optimus/Gogmat, especially its verbal content.

3-As for their algorithm, I think they are very skewed. I took a test and scored over 710. While I was amazed by this score, I bought tests packages from Manhattan, Veritas, Kaplan and Exam pack 1 from GMAC.
In these tests, my scores were 640, and 670 on Veritas, 660 on Manhattan, and 680 on Kaplan and 670 on actual GMATPREP exam pack. You can see that Optimus´s scores are inflated. In fact I invite Veritas, Manhattan and Kaplan staff to access to my profiles and see that these scores are real in their databases and that I am telling the truth.

As recommendation to future students. STICK TO OFFICIAL MATERIALS. Official guide, and exampack and try a course from an industry leader, reputable company with historical track. Do not fall for new companies that you see have inflated reviews with practically 100 satisfaction as this consitutes deceptive marketing and fraud.

Folks, more and more people are taking the gmat and there are companies that will take advantage of this situation, emphasizing quantity over quality. DO your research and demand proof of their claims. Have notification on the quality and credentials of their tutors and choose wisely. Remember, when something looks too good to be true, then there is a catch under the table.

I wished I had signed with Veritas or Manhattan at the beginning, rather than having wasted time and money on this course.

feel free to email me at [email protected]

Thank you

Luis[/list]

by JohannaJ » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:50 am
I made positive experiences with Optimus Prep.

Their rates for tutoring are by far cheaper than most competitors and i was given the chance to have a free trial hour. After the trial hour I was satisfied and continued with them.

The course was also good and informative but my focus was on the tutoring sessions.

I agree that official questions are always the best choice though! Practice tests in general are not 100% accurate because it is hard to simulate the stress and pressure on test day. Nevertheless, practice tests were an important aspect of my GMAT preparation.

by Alisaa » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:11 am
I also made positive experiences with them. They have a fair refund policy and their tutors are in deed 99th percentile tutors (I asked for the score report of my tutor in the trial hour).

Can recommend and the GMAT On Demand Course of Optimus Prep was also of value to me...