Is the US MBA worth it?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is the US MBA worth it?

by samsam1818 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:43 am
Hi,

I have been planning to do my MBA in the US for quite some time now. Lately a friend of mine told me that it's a bad idea. He has people telling him that the job opportunities in US are not that great now (even more difficult for Indians to get a job)and has advised me against this decision of mine.

I am really confused since I always thought that I would definitely get placed in the US after my MBA. I am worried because the degree costs so much and I don't want to come back to India after spending so much for college.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:28 am
samsam1818 wrote:Hi,

I have been planning to do my MBA in the US for quite some time now. Lately a friend of mine told me that it's a bad idea. He has people telling him that the job opportunities in US are not that great now (even more difficult for Indians to get a job)and has advised me against this decision of mine.

I am really confused since I always thought that I would definitely get placed in the US after my MBA. I am worried because the degree costs so much and I don't want to come back to India after spending so much for college.

Please advise.

Thanks.
It has never been easy to get a job in US right after completing your graduation from US however I have not seem anyone coming back unwillingly just because he/she didn't get a job there.

You should find more inputs from the school alumni network of the schools that you are targeting.
Trusting just one feedback for getting confused or moving ahead isn't a rational idea.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:44 am
It is not right to change such an important decision based on the feedback of one person. If this really was the case, there would hardly be any Indians going to the US for MBA. Also, how easy or difficult it is going to be for someone with an MBA to get a job in US after 2 or 3 years is not easy to predict.

Jobs after MBA will also depend on what business school you go to. If you study at one of the top schools, it is very unlikely that you will end up without a job. What universities were you planning to apply to?

You should go through the employment statistics of the schools you are planning to apply to. This will give you an idea of what the current employment situation is. It is also advisable that you talk to some Indian alumni of these schools and get a first hand idea of how they have fared. Students and alumni are the BEST sources of information. They have been there and done that. It is always better to learn from them especially when in doubt.

I would suggest that you go ahead with your applications to US business schools. At the same time, you might want to check out few top European schools such as LBS and INSEAD.
All the best
www.interviewbay.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by samsam1818 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:45 am
Hi interviewbay22,

Thanks for your advice :)

Like you suggested, I will get in touch with some alumni and look through some schools' statistics :)

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:33 pm
I think it really depends. There are always job opportunities for outstanding candidates. People who are smart, have great experience and put in lots of work will always rise to the top and find an employer that wants them. There are still plenty of opportunities in the US, just be prepared to work for it. Good luck!