Choosing a university based on geographical work preferences

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I've recently taken the GMAT and am doing my first steps in the research of finding the right university for me to study for my MBA degree.
There's a saying I've kept hearing that it's better to study for an MBA at a university located as close as possible to the place where I would ultimately would like to work. For instance, if I see myself working in Europe, it doesn't make sense to pursue an MBA in the US or Canada (or vice versa). Is it true?
It sounds a bit weird to me given the fact that we live in a very technologically advance world and in my opinion there's no reason that a graduate from a prestigious university won't be sought after by an employer from another continent just because that graduated didn't choose to earn his MBA in an institution in that continent in the first place.

Thanks for answering and helping!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:12 pm
I think using geographical preferences as a filter for business school is a great idea and not something enough students do. Especially for smaller schools, they tend to have more local employers recruit from them. For example, if you aren't interested in living in the southeast United States you probably shouldn't look at programs like Georgia Tech or University of Georgia.