Weaken

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

Weaken

by akash singhal » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 pm
Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition present from birth, type-2 diabetes is acquired in adulthood, generally as a result of obesity and inactivity. The number of cases of type-2 diabetes has been steadily increasing in the United States since 1970, indicating to many researchers that the American population is becoming increasingly heavy and sedentary. If the government wishes to stem the spread of the disease, it should educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to believe that the proposed education program will NOT be effective?

"¢ School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue.
"¢ The public already has access to this information through the Internet.
"¢ Food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks.
"¢ The government has not set aside money for such a program.
"¢ Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people.

OE E

Why E nd Why not B.
I think the use of the word 'Many' in E limits the option's ability to weaken the general mass.Whereas, B refers to the public and is a better answer.
Please Explain my fault in reasoning.[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:09 am
akash singhal wrote:Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition present from birth, type-2 diabetes is acquired in adulthood, generally as a result of obesity and inactivity. The number of cases of type-2 diabetes has been steadily increasing in the United States since 1970, indicating to many researchers that the American population is becoming increasingly heavy and sedentary. If the government wishes to stem the spread of the disease, it should educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to believe that the proposed education program will NOT be effective?

"¢ School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue.
"¢ Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people.
To stem something means to stop it from spreading.

Plan: Educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise.
Conclusion: This plan will stop the spread of juvenile diabetes.

To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show that the government's plan will NOT stop the spread of juvenile diabetes.

Answer choice E: Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people.
If many people lack the financial means to follow the government's advice, then juvenile diabetes will continue to spread, WEAKENING the conclusion that the plan will stop the spread of juvenile diabetes.

The correct answer is E.
Why not B.
B: The public already has access to this information through the Internet.
To have ACCESS to information is not the same as to KNOW the information.
To weaken the government's plan, B would have to indicate that people are already AWARE of the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle.
I think the use of the word 'Many' in E limits the option's ability to weaken the general mass..
many = a significant proportion.
If a significant proportion of people cannot follow the government's advice, then juvenile diabetes will continue to spread, WEAKENING the government's conclusion that its plan will stop the spread of diabetes.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

by akash singhal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:27 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
akash singhal wrote:Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition present from birth, type-2 diabetes is acquired in adulthood, generally as a result of obesity and inactivity. The number of cases of type-2 diabetes has been steadily increasing in the United States since 1970, indicating to many researchers that the American population is becoming increasingly heavy and sedentary. If the government wishes to stem the spread of the disease, it should educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to believe that the proposed education program will NOT be effective?

To stem something means to stop it from spreading.

Plan: Educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise.
Conclusion: This plan will stop the spread of juvenile diabetes.

To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show that the government's plan will NOT stop the spread of juvenile diabetes.

Answer choice E: Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people.
If many people lack the financial means to follow the government's advice, then juvenile diabetes will continue to spread, WEAKENING the conclusion that the plan will stop the spread of juvenile diabetes.

The correct answer is E.
Why not B.
B: The public already has access to this information through the Internet.
To have ACCESS to information is not the same as to KNOW the information.
To weaken the government's plan, B would have to indicate that people are already AWARE of the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle.
I think the use of the word 'Many' in E limits the option's ability to weaken the general mass..
many = a significant proportion.
If a significant proportion of people cannot follow the government's advice, then juvenile diabetes will continue to spread, WEAKENING the government's conclusion that its plan will stop the spread of diabetes.

Great Explanation as usual Mitch
Thanks a lot!!!