What have I done wrong :(

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

What have I done wrong :(

by zurich » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:01 am
Hi,

I am at the brink of despair for my GMAT preparation. I have no idea what I have done wrong. I have done all practised questions from manhattan and Kaplan prep as well as the official guide. I studied around 3-4 hours everyday for the past 3 months. I do CAT once a week. My score was always around 600 and only once it was 650. My exam is in 6 weeks. I need to get 700 to even stand a chance getting in the university. I have no idea why my scores have not improved after so many practices. Any tips and help is greatly appreciated. I am currently living in Zurich. If anyone wants to do a study group together, please ring me up! Thanks a lot in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 pm
Fortunately, via doing all those questions, probably you have become rather familiar with much of what appears on the GMAT. The thing is that somehow that is not translating into the score you want.

One of the first things I am wondering is when you are doing practice questions, do you do them on a timed or untimed basis. Here's why. Often, because they know that when they are taking the GMAT they will have about two minutes per question, people only spend two to three minutes on each practice question, and then guess and move on. The problem with doing that is that it does not really give one the time necessary to develop the skills necessary for getting right answers consistently.

So if you have been practicing on a timed basis, I suggest slowing down and doing practice questions in a different way. That way is to use as much time as you need to achieve a high hit rate, one above 80%, at least. Actually if you want to score above 700, when you are doing questions untimed, you probably need to see a hit rate above 85%.

Once you are achieving that hit rate untimed, you could start seeking to speed up, figuring out how to maintain a high hit rate while getting the questions done faster.

If, on the other hand, you have been doing questions untimed all along, then you may have a different project on your hands.

Beyond that, in general, people who don't improve in quant could benefit from working on questions topic by topic, developing expertise in one area before moving onto the next. When you work that way, rather than by doing mixed sets of questions all the time, you develop deep understanding of how to handle each type of question, and you are pretty much guaranteed to increase your hit rates and to increase your score, point by point.

One good resource for working on quant topic by topic is the GMAT question bank here, https://bellcurves.com, which you can access by setting up a practice account.

For verbal, often people who are stuck are seeking to use cookie cutter type strategies rather than learning to clearly see the logic of the questions and the answer choices. Likely by slowing down you can develop skill in hacking your way to correct answers to verbal questions. To increase your SC hit rate, at this point you may know enough SC rules and concepts and probably need to focus more on learning to hack your way to right answers. I could be wrong about that though. You may need to go over the questions you have done and see if there are patterns to the types of things you are missing in the SC answer choices.

Anyway, in general, when someone is doing many practice questions and not seeing a score increase, somehow the person is not learning from the process, maybe because of doing the questions too fast, maybe because the person is not looking for key things to focus on and learn more about, and maybe because the person has not understood some key things that are involved in the process of getting right answers.

So somehow you have to make your practice more productive, and for quant using that BellCurves question bank for focused practice may be a good start.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:01 pm
Check out this great post. What depth of understanding have you achieved?

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/careless-m ... gmat-math/
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zurich » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:32 am
Hi Marty,

Thank you for your reply. For practised questions, most of the time I do it on untimed basis, as I wanted to make sure that I know how to get the correct answers. I have around 80% hit rate for quant and around 70% for verbal. I will try the practices from bellcurve and hopefully it will improve my quant scores :) Thank you for your tips.