Please evaluate my profile for US top 15 B schools

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

I am planning to apply for the US B schools in R2, this year.

My Career/academic summary is as below.

Work experience:

Completed 8 years on 22nd august 2015. For the first 4 years I worked with HCL technologies Limited. When I left HCL was working with them as a Lead Application support engineer. I worked in a team that supported "retail receipts", one of the critical payment applications of HCL's client "BRITISH TELECOM", a major telecom provider in UK. Retail Receipts application is basically a comprehensive suite of applications utilized by BT retail to process , allocate and effectively handle customer queries for the vast number of payments.

Since the last 4 years, I have a little different but interesting profile. I have been working as a product trainer/senior consultant in "Oracle financial services software limited". I deal with the company's banking product called "FLEXCUBE". My job was to train the internal hires and also the customer's buying the banking product on the technical aspects of the product. Sometimes I also need to deal with the functional aspects of the product. As part of my job, I need to travel to the countries in which the banks buying the product are located. Consequently I have travelled to 6 countries till date. There are also instances in which the bank's team would fly down to India for the product training. As you may understand from the nature of my job that I get a chance to interact with people from different countries and different cultures. This is why I find this profile unique. Till date I have interacted with customers from around a dozen countries. I also find the training part interesting as it has enabled me to develop my client interaction, stage management and time management skills effectively, a scenario, which is quite rare for the folks working in a typical IT profile.

I find it a high responsibility job as when i go to the client site for training the bank on the software, i am the face of the company to the bank and have the responsibility of maintaining or spoiling the company's reputation. Thankfully, with my expertise and skills, I have always succeeded in maintaining and enhancing the reputation of the company at each instance I was sent for the training, , leading to request for repeat trainings and consequently increase in company's revenue.

Education :

Secondary
10th- 79% (Bihar State Board)--- I was positioned 3rd in my district

Higher Secondary
12th(Science Stream)---68 % (Bihar Intermediate Council)

Graduation:
Bachelor in Engineering in Computer Science---First division (62.3%)--- from VISVEHWARIAH INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, BELGAUM

GMAT (Taken on 08th October, 2015)
Score : 710
Quant : 49
Verbal : 38
AWA-5.5
IR-4

Extra Curricular:

"¢ Learnt Indian classical music for 5 years and rabindra sangeet for 3 years.
"¢ In my school days,won several prizes in Bengali recitation and rabindra sangeet competitions held
at district level
"¢ I was member of my school cricket team.
"¢ During my graduation, represented my college in the VTU youth fest in dramatics, singing and
mimicry.
"¢ While in college, I presented a paper on Genetic wired equivalent privacy
at the mindtree techfest OSMOSIS.
"¢ I was awarded as the best performer in HCL Technologies Ltd for the month of May-2009
"¢ I obtained 99.3% in BULATS, a world wide known exam which gauges one's reading and listening
skills. This exam was internally conducted by HCL.
"¢ I have been an active member of the enthrallers group, a team in HCL which conducts and manages the
cultural and indoor sport events for employees.
"¢ I was associated with a Non-governmental organization named CRY(Child rights and you) for a short
duration.

Post MBA Goal

My post MBA goal is to move into a strategy/investment banking consulting role at a senior level. I believe that the attributes needed to be a good consultant (right attitude, strong analytical and problem solving skills, good client interaction skills etc.) are my strengths and therefore will serve me good in my future consulting role.

Queries

Which colleges are my best options? Shall I go for an one year or a two year course? Please list down my safe, stretch and ambitious school options.

I am already 32 and will be turning 33 in December 2015. Will my age be a hurdle as far as my MBA admission is concerned?

Thanks,

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:40 pm
One year programs in Europe might be appropriate in terms of your age, but since you are planning to transition careers you might be better suited to a two year program. While it is tricky to suggest specific schools I would consider top 20 programs to be a suitable target. Unfortunately you are applying in round 2, and as an engineer from India, you are part of a very competitive application bucket. This may work against you, so if you really need to gain admissions this year, you may need a safety school or two in the top 30. May sure your goals, as a career switcher, are very specific, and well explained. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/