Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by ecgrageda » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:17 am
Hi,

I would deeply appreciate you taking your time in evaluating my profile. Thank you so much in advance!

1. Demographics: Filipino Male, Age 28
2. Education:
- GMAT 750 (Q49 V44)
- GPA 2.167 @ De La Salle University (top 3 "Ivy league" university in the Philippines) - Bachelor of Science in Applied Economics

I know my GPA is embarrassingly low. Was too lazy to study, family problems such as parents being sick (dad-kidney transplant; mom - lung cancer); thankfully still alive. Didn't see any point in studying so I just made sure that I graduated on time. Note that I got 4.0s in my Calculus classes since Math is really a strength of mine.

3. Work Experience:

- 2 years in Investment Banking - financial and transactional advisory; working with government on Public-Private Partnership Projects and Infrastructure Projects such as: Toll roads, Railways, Ports, etc.
- 3 years in UBS as an Equity Research Associate - transferred to UBS since I figured having a brand name like UBS would help me in my applications for business school

4. Extracurriculars:
- Assistant Vice President: Economics Organization
- Officer for a University Political Party
- Active Volunteer for Gawad Kalinga Community Development Foundation, Inc. It's a Philippine-based movement that aims to end poverty for 5 million families, by first restoring the dignity of the poor. Went to the rural areas of Bulacan and taught basic math and english to the children there. Helped develop the community by providing goods and helped setting up homes.
- Founded a Music Production where we setup various gigs/events that showcase amateur bands from different universities. Also performed during the events/gigs setup as I have a band as well.

5. Internship
- LiveIt Investments (Investment Management arm of Ayala Corporation). Ayala Corporation is a holding company for the diversified interests of the Ayala Group. The company is known to have a portfolio of diverse business interests, including investments in retail, real estate, banking, etc.
- Selected to be part of a project team which collaborated with Pearson for the purpose of developing and putting up low-cost private schools in the Philippines.

6. Goals - To pursue an MBA and move into Private Equity, and hopefully one day I can setup my own Private Equity firm in the Philippines.

Dream Schools:

1. Wharton
2. Chicago Booth
3. Kellogg
4. Yale
5. Columbia
6. Tuck
7. NYU
8. Cornell

Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thank you.

Regards,
A very Sad and Desperate Candidate (due to my very low GPA)