UNC MaCC Online

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

UNC MaCC Online

by ems215 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:28 pm
Hi,

I applied to the UNC MaCC on-campus program and was rejected. My GMAT score is in the 600 range. I have a 3.4 from NYU Stern as an undergrad with 10 years of work experience in the financial industry.

I am trying to get my MaCC so I can take the CPA and hopefully transition away from the financial services industry. The fin services industry has been declining in size and I felt I never really got the credit I deserved for the work I did. For example, people wanted to promote their friends most of the time, the suck up kiss ass types. Of course, i am not writing this in my personal statement. I did write about my desire to shift careers and getting a CPA will help me find a role in a non-financial company where most roles I would qualify for would be based on accounting. My career has been in risk management where I identify outliers as well as trends and research them and this is analogous to accounting. I talk about this in my essay. The online program is actually better for me as I might leave NYC and the program can go where I go.

I was a little concerned. The school said they created this program as they could not accept all the people they wanted to in past years due to space constraints in the on campus program.

During the Skype interview, they told me that they will not be accepting anyone until the New Year so basically I have to wait more than a month to find out if I get accepted. I found this odd. Is this the case with anyone else?

Can anyone tell me if they have already been accepted or rejected to the UNC online MaCC program?

Thanks, I really appreciate it. :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

by ems215 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:48 pm
Did anyone get into the MaCC online? I have no idea what to think of UNC? Is it some magical school as I cannot get in no matter what I do. I first applied to the UNC online MBA program and was rejected.

I then decided to focus on something different as I wasn't sure if I wanted to stay in the financial industry. I applied to the online accounting program and it would have been great to be accepted to the first class. I got rejected from that program as well. I don't know what to do. I do not want to have to take the GMAT again. My score is 610 and I took it 3 years ago in 2012.

I very much wanted to be accepted to Chapel Hill. Can anyone help me understand why I did not get in? For my Accounting program, I took a certificate program at NYU which was non-credit classes. So I wanted to go to UCONN's online program but they wouldn't accept non-credit classes as prereqs. I thought the NYU certificate would show I was serious. They even asked me during the interview, how am I prepared for this program? My professors wrote my recommendations for the program, all 3 of them. I cannot ask anyone in my industry as they assume you are looking to leave if you ask them something like that.

They did ask me about attending the online live classes and I might have to be in a class on Monday during work hours. They said my employer might have to know about the program. I work in a high pressure industry, the financial industry in NYC and they might have thought I couldn't meet the commitment?

I don't get what happened. Everything is positive and then I get rejected.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:00 pm
That's really surprising you were rejected from UNC's online MBA program. Maybe they thought your story didn't make a lot of sense. To me it is interesting that you want to get out of the financial services industry, but feel like a masters in accounting is the right move. I get you are saying you think that will help you transition to corporate accounting, but it feels like a tough transition to describe in an essay. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any more questions.