Optional essay on low GPA due to health

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Optional essay on low GPA due to health

by Cali12 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:19 am
I'm currently working on my applications to a few schools and my GPA is a lower than the averages at all the schools. In the middle of my undergrad degree I was diagnosed with a serious health condition that left me unable to make school my #1 priority. I didn't take any time off and my grades suffered as a result. Once I had an operation to fix the issue my grades went back up for my final semester - my grades before the condition were also good.

I have the option of writing an essay to explain why it's low, but want to make sure I won't come off as making up excuses. Is this something worth addressing or should I let it go?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:13 am
address it, succinctly. Then also consider taking a class or two now to further demonstrate your seriousness as well as self awareness. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:53 am
Absolutely address it! That's a very legitimate reason and that's exactly what the Optional Essay is there for. Alex's point about optional classes is a good one but if you're applying this fall, it might be too late for that for you. But if you're applying next year or something, then yes, take a few Extension Courses and knock them out of the park.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:31 am
It is never too late to sign up for classes, even if the grades won't be available in time. It shows initiative I think. I always appreciated it when I was an adcom anyway. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 am
That's a fair point Alex - it definitely can't hurt and it does show initiative. Agreed with you on that. While having taken multiple courses with grades would obviously be preferable, at least having started shows commitment and an understanding of the process.

That said - the only thing we'd add is that these courses will take up time. If you can handle it - more power to you! But for some folks work + involvement + apps + classes can become a bit much. But you've probably got this all covered, right?! :)

Good luck!
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:25 pm
I agree you should address it in your optional essay. However, this is always a difficult thing to balance. You don't want to come off as if you are making excuses for yourself. Remember the school has no way to verify if you are being honest in your excuse so it can be tough. My recommendation is to address it quickly, but accept that it isn't an excuse by talking about how you are going to fix that issue in your profile so the school knows you are ready to be successful.