Request for preliminary assessment of schools to look at

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey!

I plan to apply in 2016 to the top ten schools, but need help winnowing that list down. As of now, I am looking at HBS, Wharton, Stern, Sloan and Ross.

Below are some datapoints that I hope provide context on selection schools (I have a clear professional goal that clearly I.D's why an MBA is essential).

- Recently took the GMAT and achieved a 710 (Q47, V40).
- Graduated in 2012 from a top Big Ten University with double major in English and History, and a GPA of 3.45.
- Currently work as an appointee to a small federal agency in Washington, DC that handles retirement policy.

What are my odds at the above schools?

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:09 pm
I would say you've got a great shot at Ross, Stern and Sloan and HBS and Wharton are a bit more of a reach. Obviously your work experience is a little on the light side. GPA is good, but could be better and your major isn't particularly helping your case. You didn't mention volunteer experience, but that could definitely beef up your profile and cover up for being on the lower end of work experience. It would also depend on what that professional goal is and if it makes sense for the school you are applying to.