The decision by one of the nation's largest banks

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members
The decision by one of the nation's largest banks to admit to 3 billion dollars in potential losses on foreign loans could mean less lending by commercial banks to developing countries and increasing the pressure on multigovernment lenders to supply the funds.

A. Increasing the pressure
B. the increasing pressure
C. increased pressure
D. the pressure increased
E. the pressure increasing

my concern: " less lending by commercial banks" is a adj+simple gerund .i believe that simple gerund can be parallel to simple gerund only .now "Increasing the pressure" is a simple gerund too .so by that consideration option A should have been OK also "adjective" at the beginning should not affect the parallel construction

question 2: also please tell me "the increasing pressure" in option B is complex gerund and because of this it cannot be parallel to "less lending by commercial banks"

thanks and regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:16 am
Hi aditya8062,

In this context, the phrase "less lending by commercial banks" is actually a noun (albeit a "noun-countable" noun). The parallelism involved requires that the second idea also be a noun; in this case "increased pressure" is the match.

Final Answer:C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:35 am
hi rich
i agree that C is good .but as far as your "noun" thing is concerned then "simple gerunds" are very much noun .in fact the fact that both of these are simple gerund should make them parallel as per manhattan SC guide

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 am
aditya8062 wrote:The decision by one of the nation's largest banks to admit to 3 billion dollars in potential losses on foreign loans could mean less lending by commercial banks to developing countries and increasing the pressure on multigovernment lenders to supply the funds.

A. Increasing the pressure
B. the increasing pressure
C. increased pressure
D. the pressure increased
E. the pressure increasing

my concern: " less lending by commercial banks" is a adj+simple gerund .i believe that simple gerund can be parallel to simple gerund only .now "Increasing the pressure" is a simple gerund too .so by that consideration option A should have been OK also "adjective" at the beginning should not affect the parallel construction
A conjunction such as and must connect PARALLEL FORMS.

A gerund is a VERBing that serves as a NOUN.
Like other types of nouns, a gerund can be modified by an adjective.
Like other verb forms, a gerund can take a direct object.
An adjective and a direct object are NOT parallel forms.

A: less lending and increasing the pressure
Here, less serves as an adjective modifying the gerund lending, while the pressure serves as the direct object of the gerund increasing.
As a result, and is serving to connect the following NON-PARALLEL FORMS:
ADJECTIVE + NOUN (less lending) and NOUN + DIRECT OBJECT (increasing the pressure).
Eliminate A.
question 2: also please tell me "the increasing pressure" in option B is complex gerund and because of this it cannot be parallel to "less lending by commercial banks"

thanks and regards
B: The decision COULD MEAN less lending and THE INCREASING PRESSURE.
Here, while less lending refers to the GENERAL act of lending, THE INCREASING PRESSURE implies the pressure that is increasing RIGHT NOW.
Conveyed meaning:
The decision could lead -- IN THE FUTURE -- to something that is ALREADY happening (the increasing pressure).
The conveyed meaning contradicts itself.
Eliminate B.

OA: less lending and increased pressure
Here, lending and pressure both serve as nouns, with less serving as an adjective modifying lending and increased serving as an adjective modifying pressure.
As a result, and correctly serves to connect the following parallel forms:
ADJECTIVE + NOUN (less lending) and ADJECTIVE + NOUN (increased pressure).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:59 am
ADJECTIVE + NOUN (less lending) and NOUN + DIRECT OBJECT (increasing the pressure).
thanks GURU
i somewhere feel that ADJECTIVES and ADVERBS do not affect the grammar of parallelism (please correct me if u find me wrong) . after all "adj+ noun" and "noun + direct object" are ultimately "noun" forms. i agree that option C does have better parallelism than any other option but will it be right to say A is absolutely non parallel?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:55 am
aditya8062 wrote:
thanks GURU
i somewhere feel that ADJECTIVES and ADVERBS do not affect the grammar of parallelism (please correct me if u find me wrong) . after all "adj+ noun" and "noun + direct object" are ultimately "noun" forms. i agree that option C does have better parallelism than any other option but will it be right to say A is absolutely non parallel?
A direct object is neither an adjective nor an adverb, so it is an oversimplification to deem VERBing + direct object "a noun form".
In assigning a direct object to increasing, answer choice A forces increasing to function more as a verb than does lending, which functions strictly as a noun.
The result is a lack of parallelism.

More importantly:
PARALLEL CONCEPTS should be PARALLEL IN FORM.
Here, the intended meaning that lending is LESS, while pressure is INCREASED.
In A, less (an adjective) and increasing (a noun) are parallel concepts that are NOT parallel in form.
The result is a distortion of the intended meaning.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:11 am
Hi Mitch,

If option B had been like "increasing pressure" then that option would have been right?

Thanks & Regards,
Vishal

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 am
vishalwin wrote:Hi Mitch,

If option B had been like "increasing pressure" then that option would have been right?

Thanks & Regards,
Vishal
The decision could mean increasing pressure on lenders.
Intrepretation 1: As a result of the decision, SOME UNKNOWN ENTITY will be increasing pressure on lenders.
Interpretation 2: As a result of the decision, the pressure ON ITS OWN will be increasing.
Since the intended meaning is unclear, the sentence above is not viable.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:45 am
Thanks Mitch

by thang » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:34 pm
doing can be a pure noun, which can take poseesive and "the", "a"

the restructruring of this class. my restructuring of this class

doing can be a gerund, which have some but not all fuctions of noun. gerund can not go with possessive and "the,a".
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758