740 - How I Got To Pick My Best Score!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

740 - How I Got To Pick My Best Score!

by kennedy91 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 pm
I took the GMAT 3 times and got a 630, a 680, and a 740. The schools will only see my 740, and I feel like I just beat the system.

About a month after I started prepping for the GMAT, the score reporting rules changed, and I learned how to exploit them for the perfect score report. Here's my story how, and how I prepared for the 97th percentile.

My GMAT "Equipment"
+GMAT Official Guide
+EMPOWERgmat Course - 3 Month Plan
+Manhattan Tests
+Manhattan SC book
+Veritas Free Quiz Bank

On my first GMAT Prep test I scored a 520, and although I was kind of terrified, I learned that that was actually better than the average starting score, which made me feel a lot better. I set about following the 3 month study plan with an obsession. I think the thing that made the biggest difference is understanding that to get good at answering GMAT questions, and working the adaptive CAT, you have to build specialized skills.

Here are the skills from the course, and my own reflections that enabled me to get a 740:

+Double check - Especially on the questions you know you can do. Early on, I missed way too many questions I because I made stupid, idiot mistakes. Rather than just hitting my head against the desk, I reflected on what bad habits were causing those mistakes. Before you click "next", double check.
+The test measures thoroughness. If the question says, n > 2, don't just think 3, consider 2.1.
+Attention to detail - When you read a question, read it carefully enough to catch exactly what it's asking for because they've got a brutal punisher answer waiting for you otherwise
+Spotting the gaps - This is especially helpful in CR, and DS. In Empower, they teach about the 3 common flaws/assumptions: 1-No other factors, 2-Success, 3-Relevance. In every CR argument, you can count on at least one of them, and you'll know how to answer every assumption, strengthen, weaken, and evaluate the argument question. In DS, knowing what's missing makes finding the right answer a lot more direct, and sort of takes the mystery out of it.
+Being in control when you read - It's way to easy to race through the content as you read, but I'm sure you noticed that when you don't race, you're far more accurate. For me at least, it was night and day. The only way to perform at my best is to read with careful, slow, high engagement.

On my next few Manhattan tests, I ventured from 520 to 600. Those 80 points meant a lot for my confidence because I knew I could still get so many more. That's also right around the time that Empower sent out an email blast about some awesome new GMAT score reporting changes. Basically they broke down how to game the system for a perfect score report with only one test showing, your best score, no matter what. It changed everything for me, so I want to pay it forward to anyone who doesn't know how it works. First you need to know the new score reporting rules (in case you don't know them yet, here they are):

+You can cancel after seeing your score, and schools can't see that you cancelled
+You can reactivate any score you wish if earned within the last 60 days
+You can retake the GMAT every 16 days, up to 5 times a year

Here's my attempt to recap how to play the system for the perfect score report:
+Prep until your practice tests are inline with your target score. There's no getting around the fact that you still have to be ready to go.
+Take the test. If you get hit or beat your target score, accept it and you're done. If you don't like your score, or anything about the balance, cancel it then because that's your only chance to cancel. There's no penalty to cancel other than the test fee you had to pay.
+Reschedule your test for 16 days or longer. Repeat step 2.
+If you're still not happy with your score, reschedule and repeat step 2 again.
+Now you get to reactivate your best score, and that is the only score the admissions committees will ever see. It's the perfect score report. Just one awesome score.

Basically, you almost want to go into the test center planning to cancel unless you hit a homerun.

So that is exactly what I did. I got: 630, 680 (didn't like it because my quant was way below my potential), and then a 740. Obviously, I chose to keep the 740. If I still wasn't sure, I could have cancelled, thought about it, and then later chosen to either reactivate one of the scores, or retake.

Ultimately, this awesome strategy changed everything for me, and perhaps by far the best thing about it is it took about 90% of the stress out of taking the test for me. I knew it wasn't do or die, and that allowed me to relax, focus, and play at my best.

The only downside is that each GMAT costs $250. This guy I work with also took the GMAT who complained about the $250 test fees and reactivation fees to use this system, and I told him that if you're concerned about an extra few hundred dollars for something that could net you $millions in additional income I don't think Harvard wants you anyway. He laughed and said "point taken."

I owe EMPOWERgmat everything for sharing this strategy, and I hope that others can benefit from the system the same way I did.

Here's to all, and make sure to pay it forward too! Maybe I'll see you at Kellogg, Stern or CBS!

F.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by thebestcasescenario » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:39 am
I had no idea you could do that. Thank you for sharing. I've really had a problem with test jitters, and I think knowing I have that kind of flexibility will take the edge off. Really, I can't thank you enough!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:08 am
Hi kennedy91,

I saw your post in another Forum, so I've pasted over my response from there:

That's OUTSTANDING news about your score. With a 740, you're in position to apply to any Business Schools that interest you, so you shouldn't hold back when it comes to your applications.

You've clearly hit on one of the big advantages of GMACs Score Reporting 'process' - the option to reactivate a score (combined with the shorter 16-day 'wait period' between Exams) can really ease the levels of anxiety that many Test Takers experience on Test Day. Your ability to incorporate that pattern/logic clearly helped you to perform up to your potential.

The Schools that you mentioned in your original post are all highly competitive, so you might want to work with an Admissions Consultant on your applications. If you're interested, we have one particular expert who we recommend who has helped many of our Clients to fantastic results. Email/PM me and I'll help set you up with a free consultation.

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]