00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the

Discussions please. OA [E Why?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by conquistador » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:27 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,as well as artifacts,such as glass-oil lamp fragments,found at the site

A ruined.... phrase correctly modifies the structure Jordan.
The fact that it may be a church is indicated by 3 factors
  • its eastward direction
    by its overall plan and
    as well as artifacts

These 3 are found at site.

Now in given sentence all these 3 do not follow parallel construction with only one by for 2nd item. Hence A is wrong.

now going for other options

(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,once probably being a church,was indicated by its eastward orientation,overall plan,and
once probably being a church............gives a meaning error spoiled by once and being(for past tense).

(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan,but also the
Using Present continuous tense Indicating for past event is wrong. Also Jordan is a structure and it is not indicating sth. This is wrong meaning wise because of wrong modifier.
not only...........but also......... is also used wrongly

(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church,as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan,as well as the
present tense indicates changes the whole meaning of the sentence.

(E)That a ruined structure found at Aqaba,Jordan,was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan,as well as by the
even though, Use of That in modifier part seems somewhat awkward to me, parallel structure in this sentence is well written without error.

That a ruined.... phrase correctly modifies the structure Jordan.
The fact that it may be a church is indicated by 3 factors
  • by its eastward direction and its overall plan
    by artifacts

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:49 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Neilsheth2 wrote: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

(A) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as
(B) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, once probably being a church, was indicated by its eastward orientation, overall plan, and
(C) Indicating that a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church were its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the
(D) A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as the
(E) That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the
A: as indicated
Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical:
An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anant03 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hi GMATGuru ,

Can you please explain more about option A , because I was stuck between A & E . I choose E over A because E is parallel than A.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:31 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

anant03 wrote:Hi GMATGuru ,

Can you please explain more about option A , because I was stuck between A & E . I choose E over A because E is parallel than A.

Please explain sir.

Thanks.
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.
Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
Generally, the omitted verb is a form of TO BE (is, are, etc.).

SC12 in the OG12:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Conveyed meaning:
Rising inventories, if [rising inventories are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Here, the subject and verb in brackets are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

Rule:
If a subject is omitted, It must be CRYSTAL CLEAR what subject is intended.

Answer choice A in the SC above:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation.
Here, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause seems to be a church -- the nearest preceding noun -- with the result that church must also serve as the referent for its.
Conveyed meaning:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as [a church is] indicated in the church's eastward orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by aflaam » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:22 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:

Please explain sir.

Thanks.
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and a verb when their presence is clearly understood.

SC12 in the OG12:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Conveyed meaning:
Rising inventories, if [rising inventories are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Here, the subject and verb in brackets are omitted, but their presence is clearly understood.

Rule:

A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation.
Here, the implied subject of the verbless as-clause seems to be a church -- the nearest preceding noun -- with the result that church must also serve as the referent for its.
Conveyed meaning:
A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as [a church is] indicated in the church's eastward orientation.
Eliminate A.
Hello Mitch,
can A be crossed out also because of faulty parallellism?
indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan,

by thang » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:59 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Neilsheth2 wrote: A ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church, as indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan, as well as artifacts, such as glass oil-lamp fragments, found at the site.

this sentence mean
the structure was a church as the structure was indicated in eastward orientation. " as " here mean "in the same way that". this meaning make no sense.

indicated ... " is a participle 2 phrase and refers to subject of preceding clause .
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758

by Crystal W » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:

A: as indicated
Here, it is not crystal clear WHAT is indicated.
Eliminate A.

B: A ruined structure...was indicated by its orientation.
This meaning is nonsensical:
An ORIENTATION cannot indicate a STRUCTURE.
Eliminate B.

but must serve to connect CONTRASTING IDEAS.
C: its eastward orientation and overall plan, but also the artifacts
Here, the usage of but is inappropriate, since the orientation, the plan and the artifacts are NOT contrasting ideas.
Rather, all three serve THE SAME FUNCTION: they indicate that the ruined structure was probably a church.
Eliminate C.

D: as indicates its eastward orientation and overall plan
Here, indicates (singular) does not agree with its eastward orientation and overall plan (plural subject).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
I am still confused about this question. In choice A, I think it's church indicated, church is the subject of verb indicated, and indicated is the past participle to show passivity.
Also, in the explanation, OG said E's expression (by) (its) A+ B, as well as (by) C. Why the structure is not the by A and B as well as C or by A and by B as well as by C?
Thanks in advance !

by zoe » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:02 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:Rule:

Hi GurunNY,

it is new for me.
if a cause omits object / verb, then the omitted subject must be the noun preceding immediately ?

why not omitted subject is structure?

please give me more further explanation.

thanks a lot,
have a nice day
>_~

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hardwork » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

SC12 in the OG12:
Conveyed meaning:

Rule:

Conveyed meaning:
Eliminate A.
Thanks for your detailed explanation!
The explanation is that The subject of "as indicated..."is church because the pronoun its refers to the church.My question is that if there is no such pronoun to provide information, how to find the subject of the as-clause?(such as although clause,though clause etc. )We should find the nearest noun or find the subject of the main clause?
Thanks!

GMAT Instructor

Aqaba Jordan OG16

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:25 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

A verbless clause must be as close as possible to its implied subject.
Check my post dated 28 October 2016:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/on-earth-am ... tml#784522

If a clause omits a subject, the intended subject must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.
If the intended subject is NOT crystal clear, eliminate the answer choice.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Aqaba Jordan OG16

by hardwork » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:16 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:A verbless clause must be as close as possible to its implied subject.
Check my post dated 28 October 2016:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/on-earth-am ... tml#784522

If a clause omits a subject, the intended subject must be CRYSTAL CLEAR.
If the intended subject is NOT crystal clear, eliminate the answer choice.
I have seen the link,that is quite helpful!Thanks so much!
the choice C&E told me the rule that the verb-less clause must be placed as close as possible to the omitted subject!

TTT

by exc4libur » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

SC12 in the OG12:
Conveyed meaning:

Rule:

Conveyed meaning:
Eliminate A.
Hi Mitch,

In (A) it is not clear what the subject of "as" is.
In (D) is this also true?

Also, in most choices, the antecedent of "its" is "a structure" or "a church"?

Thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

aflaam wrote:Hello Mitch,
can A be crossed out also because of faulty parallellism?
A: indicated in its eastward orientation and by its overall plan
Each of the colored portions above is an adverbial prepositional phrase serving to modify indicated.
Since the two colored phrases serve the same function, they are grammatically parallel.
However, the red phrase distorts the intended meaning.
Intended meaning:
The eastward orientation indicates that the ruined structure was probably a church.
Since the eastward orientation indicates the conclusion in green, the conclusion in green is indicated not IN the eastward orientation but BY the eastward orientation, as expressed in the OA:
That a ruined structure...was probably a church is indicated BY its eastward orientation.
Since the red portion in A does not convey the intended meaning, eliminate A.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

exc4libur wrote:In (A) it is not clear what the subject of "as" is.
In (D) is this also true?
The errors in D are different.

Generally, a subject should PRECEDE its verb, unless there is a clear justification for placing the subject after the verb.
D: A ruined structure was probably a church, as indicates its eastward orientation.
Here, the subject for the verb in blue seems to be the noun phrase in red, as follows:
A ruined structure was probably a church, as its eastward orientation indicates.
in D, there is no justification for placing the subject in red after the verb in blue.
Also, a reader might wonder whether its serves to refer to structure or to church.
Further, it is not crystal clear what exactly the orientation indicates.
For all these reasons, eliminate D.
Also, in most choices, the antecedent of "its" is "a structure" or "a church"?
The intended antecedent for its is structure.
OA: That a ruined structure was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation.
Conveyed meaning:
The eastern orientation of the structure indicates that the structure was probably a church.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3