Practice CAT

This forum is dedicated to our GMAT Avengers study group. Connect with fellow test takers and stay up-to-date with the latest Avengers' news. Experts are free to contribute in answering questions.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Practice CAT

by sandipgumtya » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:12 am
Hi all,
I need help for the following situation:
Today i completed one Manhattan CAT and scored 680 (IR-3.1,Q-45,V-37)My qus:Is this score realistic?In my last test I scored same 680 (IR-2.4,Q-47,V-35).How can i improve more to get 700+.
I have scheduled my official test on 25th Sep'15. Can u plz help what should i do.I am bit nervous.

Sandip

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 am
The most accurate predictors of how you'll do on test day are the GMATPrep tests from mba.com. If you've taken the free ones, I'd advise picking up the Exam Pack here: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx

Otherwise, go through your old tests and see if you can come away with strategic adjustments that you can make before you take your next test. Post anything that isn't clear here.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by sandipgumtya » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:33 am
Hi David,
I have taken each of the test 3 times.
Scores are :
Test-1:620,640,690
Test 2:640,660,660
What should i do now.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:41 pm
First, make sure you've gone over both tests so that you can click through either one and have a sense of how you'd approach every question you see. (Here, I'd pick numbers; here, I'd just solve it algebraically; here, there was a parallel construction issue, etc.) If anything isn't 100% clear, post that question here. Make a few notes to yourself about any trends you see or reminders that could be helpful. After that, I'd acquire the Exam Pack from mba.com (assuming the scores you listed are from the two free tests.) Once you've taken one, post an update here, and we'll have more feedback.

If you're looking for additional questions to drill on, here is the Veritas question bank: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:12 pm
Hi Sandip,

First off, assuming that you took your last few practice CATs in a realistic and test-like fashion, then you are remarkably close to a 700+ right now. At your current scoring level, the GMAT becomes really 'sensitive' to silly/little mistakes - if you make too many of them, then a 700+ score becomes impossible to achieve. Thus, you should start by reviewing your CATs and focusing on the questions that you COULD have gotten correct but didn't. WHY did get those questions wrong? What could you have done differently? Usually, the solution almost always involves taking MORE notes and not doing work 'in your head.'

Retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT realistic and almost always leads to 'inflated' score results. So if you do plan to take another CAT or 2 in the coming 10 days, for the sake of accuracy you should take a CAT that you've never used before.

If you're truly concerned about your readiness to take the Official GMAT, then you should pay the $50 fee and push your Test Date back.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School (and what deadlines, if any, are you facing)?
2) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sandipgumtya » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:42 pm
Hi Rich,
I am aiming the IIMs (Indian Institute of Management).Last dates are in October.I dont want to push the test dates further as I have been doing this since last six months.Can u plz help what should i do in these few last days.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:02 am
Hi sandipgumtya,

You're going to find that the 'missing points' that you're looking for will come down to the 'little things' that you may or may not be doing. Have you had a chance to review your last two CATs?

1) How many questions did you get wrong because of a silly/little mistake?
2) In the Verbal section, how many questions did you narrow down to 2 choices, BUT still get wrong?

In each of the above examples, you were probably really close to getting the correct answer, but didn't (because of something that you did not do - a 'step' in the process, some note-taking, missing a detail while you read, etc.). In basic terms, it comes down to the 'precision' in your work. So the question that you should ask is "what can I do to be MORE precise?" The answer almost always involves taking more notes, labeling your work, etc. Those slight differences/improvements are what it will take to get your score to the next level.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by mindful » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:57 am
My friend

try not to panic. let's be calm. i know it's hard. i find i solve questions otherwise, but on the test, i bungle. partly because of the nerves.

let's try to develop calmness and faith that we can. why not practice some questions in this way...relaxed way...learn the short tricks too from various sources.

best wishes.