A,B,C,and D are on number line

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:43 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:38 am
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.
Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

The p[oints A, B, C and D are on a number line, not necessarily in that order. If the distance between A and B is 18 and the distance between C and D is 8, what is the distance between B and D?
1) The distance between C and A is the same as the distance between C and B
2) A is to the left of D on the number line

Transforming the original condition and the question, we have multiple variables since the position of A,B,C,D is not fixed. Since there is only 1 equation each in 1) and 2), there is high probability that E is the answer.
Using both 1) and 2), BD=1, 17 thus the answer is not unique. Therefore the answer is E.

Math Revolution : Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World's First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself (https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson)
See our Youtube demo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8)
Attachments
BTG DS anant03 A,B,C, and D are on the numberline(20150915).jpg