UC Davis Bay Area part time MBA vs Santa Clara Univ - help!

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi
I had applied to the UC Davis full time programs and I am only considering full time programs. But my application was forwarded to the UC Davis Part time program in Bay Area. I am also applying to Santa CLara Univ's full time Emerging professionals MBA. I need help deciding the two. I am leaning towards SCU for cost, proximity, program tailored to emerging professionals and not execs, fulltime/part time flexibility and reputation . I don't knw much about the bay area program except that they have a good reputation and the UC brand name.I hadn't considered part time programs until now. I have a master's , I am from the biotech/life sciences industry,I have two yrs work exp I have not been working for a couple of yrs now due to visa reasons. I'd like to start full time and convert to part time if/when I start working again thanks to the new H4 visa rules. Can anyone help me decide? (Of course I haven't been offered admission yet, I am interviewing this week, but hey it's good to have a plan)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by avid_dreamer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:58 pm
This might be too late for you in your decision making process but have you looked at other options in the Bay Area? I have a full time MBA from UC Davis and I gotta say it was costliest mistake of my career so far. The return on your money effort and time is very minimal. Its hard to navigate the student groups and cliques especially if you're from a different country or even culture. The system as a whole is built to award mediocrity and student groups suffer from groupthink and sub par team performances. Compromising your work, instead of prioritizing, was actually argued and agreed upon as an effective time management skill! If you really want to learn from the time and money you invested and make genuine career connections that are worth holding on to, I woudnlt recommend this place by a mile. Consider Berkeley if its in your range. By any measure of compensating for a lack in your profile by paying for an MBA, UC Davis is so NOT worth it. I dont have much info on Santa Clara though, for someone with so little experience either of these schools is not a good choice. Good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 am
Personally I would do the Santa Clara program. Lots of good silicon valley execs have their MBA from there. Also, if you want to go full time I wouldn't consider UC Davis because you perceive it to have a stronger brand. I would say just go full time and get it done.