Gmat 640

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Gmat 640

by rakaisraka » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:24 pm
So finally i took gmat and could score only 640. As i was seeing in prep CATs verbal brought the score down. Q48 , V31 and surprisingly IR was only 1. In mock tests i was getting around 4-5 in IR.

I was planning top US 50 with scholarship. I think 640 may not be able to get me into top 50 and scholarship. Also, I already have almost 11 years of experience.So i dont want to delay it any further. Can anyone suggest what should be my next step. Im ready to take gmat again but without a solid verbal strategy it wont be of any use.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:23 pm
Hi rakaisraka,

First off, a 640/Q48 is a solid score (it's just shy of the 80th percentile overall), so it's certainly enough of a score to put you 'in range' of any Schools that interest you. It might not be enough to get you scholarship money (but THAT depends on the Schools and Scholarships in question).

1) How long did you study?
2) What resources have you used during your studies?
3) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:18 am
Here is a prospective plan to boost verbal scores quickly:

- Make sure you're up to speed on the principles tested in Sentence Correction. Here's our free SC lesson: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-lesson/

- Do all the SC questions in the Official Guide and make sure you understand them thoroughly. Post any questions you have here.

- Read voraciously everyday for two weeks. (Anything challenging will do.) There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by rakaisraka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:46 pm
Hi,

My average score in verbal in Mocks was 33-35. Sometimes it dipped to lower 20s as well. My Quant average was 49.

Im looking for some quick help in verbal. I think i can score 49 in quant and want to score atleast 35
in verbal.
Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 pm
Hi rakaisraka,

I'll be happy to offer you some advice, but I really need more information than what you've provided.

1) How long did you study?
2) What resources have you used during your studies?
3) How did you score on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by rakaisraka » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:56 pm
1) How long did you study? - 6 months - out of which 2 months were wasted because of some health issues. SO typcally 4 complete months
2) What resources have you used during your studies? OG13 , Verbal and Quant reviews , Material provided by my coaching centre. It had mostly retired questions.
3) How did you score on each of your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? In Verbal average was 30-33. In quant 47 -49 was the range
4) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Most of the times i took entire CAT.

5) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Round 2 for 2016.

I have solved a number of questions , i could see that my quant improved but verbal did not. I feel that i lack the strategy for verbal. Also, initially in CATs CR used to be my strong area but in later stages it became a pain area for me. In all the Princeton CATs i scored in CR with 80% accuracy. But in later stages in official gmat prem CATs i found it hard. Looking for strategy for verbal.
Thanks