Question about switching jobs

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question about switching jobs

by jaw5xs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:48 pm
I am currently working for a smaller commercial real estate firm as a financial analyst focused on Acquisitions & Asset Management of office buildings. I have been in this position for 2 years. There has been a lot of turnover that has given me more responsibility but no salary increase. I ended up getting a position as an Associate at Deloitte in their Real Estate Consulting Group. If I took the position at Deloitte, the position would start in the fall, a little before I applied to business school. My job right now is on the investment side, the job with Deloitte is more valuations but I would get to see a lot of different product types.

Would it look bad to switch jobs right as I'm applying or will a bigger name like Deloitte look better on my application? The job starts would start the first week in October and I am applying for Round 2 deadlines, so the beginning of January.

Thanks for the help

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:01 pm
This is a little tricky. The adcom may wonder how a move like this makes sense so close to exiting and starting the MBA. Would you benefit from 6 months in this new position after moving up a learning curve? Also, does Deloitte know about your early departure for the MBA, will they be supportive? If so, then making the switch now might make sense, but the answer is not straightforward. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jaw5xs » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:39 am
Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback. Also one thing I forgot to mention was that I accepted this job in April but the position starts with a new class of Associates in October. If I explained that I accepted this position in April but during the wait time I realized now is the best time for me to get an MBA. Would that make sense to an adcom?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:11 am
It might, and you could address this succinctly, in the optional essay. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/