Please evaluate my profile !!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 am
Hi Sudhir,
Thanks for your post. As a moderator on this forum, I am pretty sure you are aware of the basics of MBA admissions. Overall you have a good background, but as an applicant from India, you face stiff competition at the schools listed above. So make sure you focus on differentiating yourself from the large number of applicants with similar backgrounds (high GMAT scores, solid work experience, plenty ECs)

In terms of your post-MBA goals, make sure you clarify which career path you are interested. PE and Hedge Funds can have different paths post-MBA. Also discuss how your background along with the MBA will help you achieve success in these career goals.

If you are interested in an MBA next year, you might consider expanding your school list to more top 25 / 'safety' schools that have strong finance programs - a few examples include Duke, UCLA, USC, Ross.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Legendary Member

by sudhir3127 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:58 pm
VP_MBA_Guru wrote:Hi Sudhir,
Thanks for your post. As a moderator on this forum, I am pretty sure you are aware of the basics of MBA admissions. Overall you have a good background, but as an applicant from India, you face stiff competition at the schools listed above. So make sure you focus on differentiating yourself from the large number of applicants with similar backgrounds (high GMAT scores, solid work experience, plenty ECs)

In terms of your post-MBA goals, make sure you clarify which career path you are interested. PE and Hedge Funds can have different paths post-MBA. Also discuss how your background along with the MBA will help you achieve success in these career goals.

If you are interested in an MBA next year, you might consider expanding your school list to more top 25 / 'safety' schools that have strong finance programs - a few examples include Duke, UCLA, USC, Ross.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Hi Nikhil.

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply ... Just have couple of Questions...

My Background being a Chartered Accountant .. do u think it is a diversity in terms of large pool of IT Indian males applying to MBA abroad. and if so how can i leverage on it ...

As u know i am focussed on Finance majoring MBA only .. the colleges which i mentioned above are purely on that basis.. I dont wanna apply to more than 5-6 Schools as i feel it will not give me enuf time to present good essays and a well rounded application. Can u please give me ur top 6 Finance schools ( purely on the basis of I banking placements and brand name for top I banks) . here my list though...

Wharton
NYU Stern
GSB Chicago
Columbia Business school
Yale SOM
MIT Sloan
Simon Rochester

Thanks a lot ..have a gr8 weekened..

Regds

Sudhir Nemani

MBA Admissions Consultant
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:44 pm
Hi Sudhir,
While you may not fall into the exact Indian IT category, as an Indian applicant, you will still face significant competition from other Indian applicants. But dont get too caught up in the 'competitiveness' of your pool. Instead focus on differentiating yourself from other candidates through your essays. Elaborate on any managerial and leadership experience.

Most top MBA programs have strong finance programs and can help you get into IB or other finance-related field. Many of the schools listed below are considered 'finance' schools, but other top 10/25 such as Kellogg, UMich, Duke, UCLA also have strong placement into finance-related careers.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep