Profile Evaluation - Second MBA

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - Second MBA

by throwaway123 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:36 pm
Hello!

I intend to apply for Fall 2016 and would really appreciate some advice! First, some details:

Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 710(48Q, 40V)
Undergraduate Degree: B.Tech. in Civil Engineering from one of the top Non IIT colleges in India
Worked in one of the Big Four consulting firms for 2 years
Left job to pursue MBA in Marketing from one of the newer IIM's(I was a part of the third batch)
Graduated with 6.8 CGPA (out of 10)
Worked with an American FMCG firm for about 2 months, and then I got married.

I have since moved to US and I want to pursue another MBA in order to
a) give my career a boost. Current job opportunities for immigrants are in the IT sector, and I do not want to work there.
b) get a better understanding of the American marketplace and get a job that appreciates my capabilities

Extra Curriculars:
1. Was published in a compilation book in which I interviewed an entrepreneur and wrote his life story
2. Actively organized college festivals in both levels
3. Worked on the PR team in MBA college

Aiming for:
1. UT Austin McCombs
2. Tepper
3. Penn State Smeal
4. Kenan Flagler
5. NYU Stern

My main question is, how hard will it be getting into the above mentioned colleges as this is going to be my second MBA? What are my chances of receiving a scholarship?

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:13 am
The two biggest issues you will need to overcome is the rationale for the second MBA (make sure to explain this in the optional essay) and to address your professional growth since your first MBA. Also, use the time prior to application to really focus on a legitimate professional goal you would like to pursue, rather than explain the MBA will allow you entry to the us marketplace. Your school choices appear realistic. cheers, Alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by throwaway123 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:35 am
Thank you Alex for your reply! I will definitely keep these points in mind when I complete my application.