gprep -4 sc -sumatran rhinos

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:00 pm
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,
A: making it a landmark development
Here, it seems to refer to a Sumatran rhinoceros, implying the following:
making a Sumatran rhinoceros a landmark development.
Not the intended meaning.
The intended meaning is that the BIRTH was a landmark development.
Eliminate A.

B: it is a landmark development
A Sumatran rhinoceros is a landmark development.
Eliminate B.

C: A Sumatran rhinoceros...is a landmark development
Eliminate C.

E: a Cincinnati zoo, a landmark development
This construction implies that A CINCINNATI ZOO was a landmark development.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by iburnedmyrice » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:17 pm
with D though, wouldnt "the first birth" sounds like it is refering to the Cincinnati zoo instead of "the recent birth of a S"?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:30 am
iburnedmyrice wrote:with D though, wouldnt "the first birth" sounds like it is refering to the Cincinnati zoo instead of "the recent birth of a S"?
An APPOSITIVE is a noun or noun phrase that serves to define another noun or noun phrase.
D: The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is a landmark development.
Here, the phrase in red is parallel to the phrase in blue.
This parallelism makes it clear that the phrase in red is an appositive is serving to define the phrase in blue:
the recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros = the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century.
No reader is going to construe that the first birth is serving to define a Cincinnati zoo.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:42 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it a landmark development for the effort to save the endangered animal.

A) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity of that species in more than a century, making it
B) A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, and as the first birth of that species in captivity for more than a century, it is
C) A Sumatran rhinoceros recently born in a Cincinnati zoo, as the first birth for that species in captivity for over a century, is
D) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros in a Cincinnati zoo, the first birth in captivity for that species in over a century, is
E) The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros, as the first birth in over a century of that species in captivity, took place in a Cincinnati zoo,

Eliminate B.

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hi GMATGuruNY,

In B, IT could also refer to, I guess, BIRTH. So,B remains ambiguous because of two possible antecedents of IT . Thoughts ?

In E, a century of that species in captivity -- isn't the RED part NONSENSICAL and AWKWARD?
Also, why the NON-UNDERLINED part(that starts with a landmark development) can't be a NOUN+NOUN Modifier construction modifying the entire preceding clause or the SUBJECT of the preceding clause ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 pm

in E, "a landmark development" modifies the preceding clause grammatically. this means tooking place is a development. not logic.
a abstract noun can be modifier of the main clause, a summary of the main clause.

am I correct?
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:43 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate B.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hi GMATGuruNY,

1) In B, IT could also refer to, I guess, BIRTH. So,B remains ambiguous because of two possible antecedents of IT . Thoughts ?

2) In E, a century of that species in captivity -- isn't the RED part NONSENSICAL and AWKWARD?

3) Also in E, why the NON-UNDERLINED part(that starts with a landmark development) can't be a NOUN+NOUN Modifier construction modifying the entire preceding clause or the SUBJECT of the preceding clause ?
@ GMATGuruNY - could you please shed light on my above THREE questions.

Look forward to your clarifications.Much thanks in advance!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:59 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
1) In B, IT could also refer to, I guess, BIRTH. So,B remains ambiguous because of two possible antecedents of IT . Thoughts ?
B: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born, and as the first birth, it is a landmark development.
Here, the modifier in red implies something is functioning AS THE FIRST BIRTH.
WHAT is functioning as the first birth?
A SUMATRAN RHINOCEROS is functioning as the first birth.
No other interpretation is possible.
The error here is not grammatical but semantic, as discussed in my post above.
2) In E, a century of that species in captivity -- isn't the RED part NONSENSICAL and AWKWARD?
Yes.
3) Also in E, why the NON-UNDERLINED part(that starts with a landmark development) can't be a NOUN+NOUN Modifier construction modifying the entire preceding clause or the SUBJECT of the preceding clause ?
E: The recent birth of a Sumatran rhinoceros took place in a Cincinnati zoo, a landmark development.
A development can be a significant event or a group of buildings.
Here, a reader might interpret that a landmark development refers to the recent birth (a significant event) or to a Cincinnati zoo (a group of buildings).
Since the intended meaning is not crystal clear, eliminate E.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:06 pm
Hi Mitch - thanks for clarifying the concerns. Just little BIT clarification required on the following part.
GMATGuruNY wrote: B: A Sumatran rhinoceros was recently born, and as the first birth, it is a landmark development.
Here, the modifier in red implies something is functioning AS THE FIRST BIRTH.
WHAT is functioning as the first birth?
A SUMATRAN RHINOCEROS is functioning as the first birth.
No other interpretation is possible.
The error here is not grammatical but semantic, as discussed in my post above.
NOT able to understand COMPLETELY that why it'd be wrong to interpret B as follows: and as the first birth of that species...it (=the birth) is a landmark development...

Is it NONSENSICAL ?

Please help!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by bonetlobo » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:49 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote: A: making it a landmark development
Hello Mitch, why can't "it" refer to "birth" or "first birth" in A?

Is there some rule that a pronoun in the main clause cannot refer to a noun in the Appositive, because that will be a handy thing to remember.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:40 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:NOT able to understand COMPLETELY that why it'd be wrong to interpret B as follows: and as the first birth of that species...it (=the birth) is a landmark development...

Is it NONSENSICAL ?

Please help!
The construction in B is as follows:
As X, Y.
In this construction, X and Y must be DIFFERENT NOUNS.
Conveyed meaning:
Y is functioning as X.

An OA in GMATPrep:
As chair of the planning board, Joan attended more than 400 meetings.
Conveyed meaning:
Joan was functioning as chair of the planning board when she attended more than 400 meetings.

When it serves to refer to a preceding noun, the referent for it must include not only the antecedent noun but also ANY ATTACHED MODIFIERS.
In your interpretation of B, the referent for it cannot simply be the birth.
Rather, the referent for it would have to be the FIRST birth (the antecedent noun the birth plus the attached modifier first).
Your interpretation of B:
As the first birth of that species, the first birth is a landmark development.
Conveyed meaning:
The first birth is functioning as the first birth.
This meaning is nonsensical.

In B, the only sensical referent for it is a Sumatran rhinoceros, as noted in my post above.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:45 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: When it serves to refer to a preceding noun, the referent for it must include not only the antecedent noun but also ANY ATTACHED MODIFIERS.
Thanks GMATGuruNY. Couple of quick questions on this PARTICULAR ASPECT -

1. On GMAT, is this ALWAYS TRUE for it ?

2. On GMAT, does the same REASONING ALWAYS HOLD GOOD for ANY OTHER SUBJECT PRONOUNS ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:55 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: When it serves to refer to a preceding noun, the referent for it must include not only the antecedent noun but also ANY ATTACHED MODIFIERS.
Thanks GMATGuruNY. Couple of quick questions on this PARTICULAR ASPECT -

1. On GMAT, is this ALWAYS TRUE for it ?

2. On GMAT, does the same REASONING ALWAYS HOLD GOOD for ANY OTHER SUBJECT PRONOUNS ?
This rule holds true for every subject pronoun (he, she, they, it) and every object pronoun (him, her, them, it).
When one of these pronouns refers to a preceding noun, the referent for the pronoun must include not only the antecedent noun itself but also any attached modifiers.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:18 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
I also belive that usage of "and" is wrong in Option B as it breaks the ||'sm.

Clause, and phrase. Isn't it?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Neilsheth2 » Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A.

Eliminate B.

Eliminate C.

Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hey Mitch you precisely write that the 'IT' in answer' A 'can not refer to the THE FIRST BIRTH in the preceding modifier? is it because the preceding clause is a noun modifier? the modifier making it must refer to the main clause?

I chose A since I though it may refer to the first birth- implying ---> making the first birth a landmark development...!!