Profile evaluation: Part time MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation: Part time MBA

by apsahota » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:26 pm
Hi,

I am planning to apply for Part time MBA program and my target schools are: Haas school of business, Anderson school of business.
Here's my profile:

1) GMAT : 680 (Q49, V34), IR 4 --- I might retake the test because of low IR score
2) Undergraduate degree from India
- Computer Science and Engineering
- 79.2% (with distinction) - percentage system
- Was placed 4th in class (Total 140+ students) -- I believe the highest score was around 82%, I can confirm that with my school and get everything in writing
2) Graduate degree (University of Southern California, LA - 10th Best Engineering Grad School as per US News)
- Computer science
- GPA: 3.7
3) Work Experience
- 7+ years of work experience working as a Software Engineer
- Team lead, Mentor, Scrum Master (My manager will endorse)
- Worked with offshore teams
- Worked for big companies (Symantec and now at Salesforce.com)
- Have been part of a successful acquisition
- Multiple applause awards at work
- Won a hackathon competition (most popular project) at work
- And a few more things....
4) Non-profit/Extra Curricular work experience
- Co-lead of an organization @ work which deals with improving diversity(gender diversity has been the focus) at work. I lead a team of 8 employees (Engineers, Managers and Directors).
- Mentor of a high school girl for 6 months
- Volunteer at salesforce foundation and have worked for many non profit orgs helping with different activities
- Volunteer/Project Manager for a non profit org whose focus is children education in Africa.
- I run 5k, relay marathons every now and then
- I am a crossfitter and have competed in minor competitions here and there
- I am also part of the planning committee for JP Morgan chase 5k run (my employer side, we have 900 participants)
- I organize a lot of social events at work
- And many more items....
5) Recommendations
- I will get very good recommendations from two directors; One of them graduated from Haas school of business and other one is my manager. They have been pushing me to go for MBA and will write good recommendations. One will endorse my leadership skills and other one will endorse how my work impacted the company business.
6) Misc.
- I am a from a very small town in India (population < 5k)
- I am the first engineer from my town
- I am the first person from my town who came abroad for education
- The county/district I belong to, has been declared as the backward county
- I also belong to LGBT community (growing up in a small Indian town was an interesting experience)
- I didn't have access to computer/internet until I started my undergraduate degree (which shows how far behind I was and how much I have achieved since then)
- I have a very good academic background. Always 1st in my class throughout high school and I was placed 91st in the entire state in 12th grade (10k+ students) - We have state level exams

I am sure I missed a lot of points, but based on what I have mentioned could anyone please let me know if I have a shot at these 2 schools? My low IR score is bothering me, but I have a strong maths background and also I scored 98% in the critical reasoning section as per enhanced report. I might take the test again, but I would like to know my chances if I go ahead with this score.

Thanks.