expert advice required

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

expert advice required

by kevingmat04 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am
Hello,

I quit my job 4 months back to prepare for the exam . I studied 6-8 hours every day for 2 months and finally got 610 today . I have 8 years of work experience and I need to look out for a new job now . I think my dream to get an MBA is shattered , on top of this I am unemployed . I am starting to panic . I know I made a wrong decision to quit as getting a new job doesn't seem to be as easy as I thought . I want to retake the gmat again, but I am unable to make correct decision .

Please tell me how to cope with this situation . I am starting to think I am in deep trouble ....

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:33 am
Hi kevingmat04,

To properly assess your overall situation, you'll have to provide some additional information. To start though, a 610 isn't a bad GMAT score - it probably would not be enough to get you into a Top10, but with a strong OVERALL profile you could potentially get accepted to a School in the Top10 to Top30 range.

As far as your overall plans are concerned:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
3) Do you know which Schools you're interested in?

And as to your studies:
1) What materials did you use?
2) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

As an aside, you mentioned that you quit your job 4 months ago but then studied for 2 months. What were you doing during those other 2 months?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kevingmat04 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:54 am
Thanks Rich .

As far as your overall plans are concerned:
1) What is your goal score? 680+
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School? Next year Intake
3) Do you know which Schools you're interested in? I haven't done much research ,but all top B schools require average score of 650+ . Moreover, my past academic results are average ,so I need high gmat score

And as to your studies:
1) What materials did you use? I used magoosh ( Quant was good) , also went for a classroom course ,which was a total waste of money and time
2) How were you scoring on your practice CATs (including your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? I was hovering around 620-650 in verital tests & scored 660 and 640 in gmatprep .

I want to retake the gmat again but feeling really anxious because of not having a job . I prepared for 4 months , however, I started to dedicate more time during the last 2 months .

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:16 am
Hi kevingmat04,

To start, if not having a job is causing you that much distress, then you should probably commit some time and energy to finding a new job (or perhaps asking for your old job back).

Many Test Takers find that they need to spend MORE time on their GMAT studies than they originally planned for, so you're not alone. With a 610, you're actually not that far from a 680+, but you'll have to make some adjustments to how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT to pick up those missing points. You will also likely need to invest in some new resources.

1) What were your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on your Official GMAT?
2) What study resources are you currently using?
3) Have you scheduled a new Test Date yet?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:26 am
Hi kevingmat04,

As Rich said, a 610 is not a bad score. However, I'm curious to know where you're getting some of your admissions info. Have you had a chance to speak with admissions officers at the schools you're interested in? If not, consider reaching out - the GMAT is an important piece of your profile, but is not the ONLY piece. Your 8 years of real-world experience will also play a role in determining your standing with your top choices, so while you should feel free to retest (also consider that test takers typically can score +/- 30 points between any attempt), you should also not lose all hope just yet. Even if you're a bit off, it sounds like you're not far off, so don't fret right now.

Best,
Rich