Distance,Rate

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Distance,Rate

by tapanmittal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:07 pm
Bob and Wendy left home to walk together to a restaurant for dinner. They started out walking at a constant pace of 3 mph. At precisely the halfway point, Bob realized he had forgotten to lock the front door of their home. Wendy continued on to the restaurant at the same constant pace. Meanwhile, Bob, traveling at a new constant speed on the same route, returned home to lock the door and then went to the restaurant to join Wendy. How long did Wendy have to wait for Bob at the restaurant?

(1) Bob's average speed for the entire journey was 4 mph.
(2) On his journey, Bob spent 32 more minutes alone than he did walking with Wendy

OA is not known, I am confused between B and C.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:04 am
tapanmittal wrote:Bob and Wendy left home to walk together to a restaurant for dinner. They started out walking at a constant pace of 3 mph. At precisely the halfway point, Bob realized he had forgotten to lock the front door of their home. Wendy continued on to the restaurant at the same constant pace. Meanwhile, Bob, traveling at a new constant speed on the same route, returned home to lock the door and then went to the restaurant to join Wendy. How long did Wendy have to wait for Bob at the restaurant?

(1) Bob's average speed for the entire journey was 4 mph.
(2) On his journey, Bob spent 32 more minutes alone than he did walking with Wendy
For each statement, test TWO CASES.
If Wendy's waiting time is THE SAME in each case, then the statement is SUFFICIENT.
If Wendy's waiting time is NOT THE SAME in each case, then the statement is INSUFFICIENT.

Note the sum of the distances for Bob:
(1/2 the distance from home to the restaurant) + (distance back home) + (distance from home to the restaurant) = TWICE the total distance from home to the restaurant.

Statement 1: Bob's average speed for the entire journey was 4 mph.
Case 1: Let the distance between home and the restaurant = 6 miles.
At a rate of 3mph, the total time for Wendy to travel 6 miles to restaurant = d/r = 6/3 = 2 hours.
At a rate of 4mph, the total time for Bob to travel twice the total distance = 2d/r = (2*6)/4 = 3 hours.
Waiting time for Wendy = 3-2 = 1 hour.

Case 2: Let the distance between home and the restaurant = 12 miles.
At a rate of 3mph, the total time for Wendy to travel 12 miles to restaurant = d/r = 12/3 = 4 hours.
At a rate of 4mph, the total time for Bob to travel twice the total distance = 2d/r = (2*12)/4 = 6 hours.
Waiting time for Wendy = 6-4 = 2 hours.

Since Wendy's waiting time is NOT THE SAME in each case, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2: On his journey, Bob spent 32 more minutes alone than he did walking with Wendy.
Case 1: Time for Wendy and Bob together to travel 1/2 the distance between home and the restaurant = 1 minute.
Time for Wendy to travel the remaining 1/2 of the distance = 1 minute.
Since Bob's time alone is 32 minutes longer than the 1 minute he traveled with Wendy, Bob's time to reach the restaurant = 1+32 = 33 minutes.
Waiting time for Wendy = 33-1 = 32 minutes.

Case 2: Time for Wendy and Bob together to travel 1/2 the distance between home and the restaurant = 10 minutes.
Time for Wendy to travel the remaining 1/2 of the distance = 10 minutes.
Since Bob's time alone is 32 minutes longer than the 10 minutes he traveled with Wendy, Bob's time to reach the restaurant = 10+32 = 42 minutes.
Waiting time for Wendy = 42-10 = 32 minutes.

Since Wendy's waiting time is THE SAME in each case, SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:29 pm
What do you mean "the OA is not known"? Questions that come from unknown sources - especially without OAs - are not good material to study with. This question, for example, though it tests GMAT-like concepts, is not really written in a GMAT-like style.

Please only post questions with their sources.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:24 pm
This question, for example, though it tests GMAT-like concepts, is not really written in a GMAT-like style.
The source seems to be Manhattan Prep:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... -t642.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:37 members

by Max@Math Revolution » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:59 am
In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem.
Remember equal number of variables and equations ensures a solution.

=> Since both the overall distance (d) and Bob's velocity (v) are variables, there are 2 variables and thus we need 2 equations to solve the question. Thus the answer is C.

If you know our own innovative logics to find the answer, you don't need to actually solve the problem.

www.mathrevolution.com

- The one-and-only World's First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS that allow anyone to easily solve GMAT math questions.

- The easy-to-use solutions. Math skills are totally irrelevant. Forget conventional ways of solving math questions.

- The most effective time management for GMAT math to date allowing you to solve 37 questions with 10 minutes to spare

- Hitting a score of 45 is very easy and points and 49-51 is also doable.

- Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons at https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/lesson

- Our advertising video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Fki3_2vO8