Due to the lack of resources

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Due to the lack of resources

by gmatdriller » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:26 am
Due to the lack of resources, the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months.

A: Due to the lack of resources, the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months.

B: The reason that the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months is because of the lack of resources.

C: Because of the lack of resources, the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months.

D: The city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months due to the lack of resources.

E: The lack of resources could have delayed the city's fund-raising project by as much as four months.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:42 am
gmatdriller wrote:Due to the lack of resources, the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months.

A: Due to the lack of resources, the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months.

B: The reason that the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months is because of the lack of resources.

C: Because of the lack of resources, the city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months.

D: The city's fund-raising project could be delayed by as much as four months due to the lack of resources.

E: The lack of resources could have delayed the city's fund-raising project by as much as four months.
due to is an ADJECTIVE.
It must serve to modify a NOUN.

In A, due to the lack of resources seems to modify the city's fundraising project, implying that THE PROJECT is DUE TO THE LACK OF RESOURCES.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A.

In B, reason and because are redundant in that both words serve to express a CAUSAL relationship.
Eliminate B.
Incorrect: The reason is because...
Correct: The reason is that...

D: four months due to the lack of resources
Here, due to the lack of resources seems modify four months, implying that FOUR MONTHS are DUE TO THE LACK OF RESOURCES.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

E: The LACK of resources could have DELAYED the city's fundraising project.
This meaning is nonsensical.
An INSUFFICIENT AMOUNT does not have the ability to DELAY.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3