Need Advice: Forego New Job Offer to Apply This Year?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone,

So I currently work as an accountant / financial analyst at a tech startup and I was out of the blue offered in Transaction Advisory Services at an ibank (TAS =/= ibanking but you work closely with deal teams and clients). I was planning on applying to b-school this year (Booth, Wharton, Berkeley, plus others in that tier) and looking to get into ibanking after I graduate. My current company is very supportive of me applying this year to potentially start in 2016. The TAS company has already told me that if I wanted to apply next year they would be completely supportive and would write me a letter of rec with a great name attached to it. Regardless, my plan is to return to school. It is just a matter of when and there lies my dilemma. I have 5 years of work experience and I don't know if one more year in an industry closer to what I'm looking to do after I graduate is needed or I'm already a strong candidate to get in this year. Is it worth taking the risk of foregoing the new job and staying with my current company to apply this year? Money isn't a factor here as both jobs will be paying exactly the same and bonus / stock potentials are similar.

An abridged version of my background is below.

Background:

GMAT Score: 740 (98th percentile verbal, 67th percentile quant, 97th percentile overall)

Professional:
--4 years public accounting experience at mid-tier and Big 4. Took on leadership roles early and starting leading my own teams of 2-10 staff 1 year ahead of the rest of my cohort. Represented firm at recruiting events. Facilitated new hire trainings.
-- 1 year industry accounting / financial analyst experience. Promoted to a Sr. position in 6 months. Developed completely new financial analyses for the company that has provided new insight into the company's performance.
--CPA license

Education:
--3.3 GPA from UC school
--Definitely didn't apply myself as much as I could but there were extenuating circumstances
--Various student leadership positions
--Continuing educations via Coursera and Udacity
--Hoping that my GMAT score, continued interest in related fields, and CPA will help illustrate that my undergrad GPA and courseload are no longer representative of who I am)

Extracurricular:
--75+ hours donated to building homes for low income families
--Member of multiple committees for nonprofit focused on success of first generation college students (I myself am a first gen graduate)
--Career mentor of a student in the above organization
--Work with shelter dogs

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 pm
I guess one variable that is not mentioned, what are your opportunities at your current job, if you don't get admitted this year? If they are decent, then it might make sense to apply now. Anyway, just a quick thought. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:10 am
Thanks for sharing your profile. If I am understanding your dilemma I think there could be some value add by taking on the new role. You are a strong candidate on paper even with the lower GPA score. But the role seems pretty close to your eventual post-MBA goal and given there is no guarantee you will get into any of your target programs even with your competitive profile it seems like spending a year in this role is a nice hedge. Especially since it seems like the opportunity came out of nowhere and it may not be as easy to get a similar role under any other circumstances.

Hope this helps!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!