TOEFL Requirement

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

TOEFL Requirement

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:18 pm
Hi,

I'm an applicant from India and applying to US B-schools for the Fall 2016 session. While browsing through the websites of few US B-schools, i could find that TOEFL is not required/not mandatory during the MBA App Process.

Can someone please let me know if i, being an Indian applicant(hailing from a competitive pool of applicants), stand at a fair disadvantage if i don't take the TOEFL and just submit my GMAT scores during the MBA App Process ? How does not taking the TOEFL impact my MBA application or for that matter scholarships? Should i mandatorily appear for the TOEFL even though the schools mention that TOEFL is not required/not mandatory ?

Thanks,
Sayo

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:59 pm
Barring 1 or 2 schools, TOEFL is not at all required if you have completed your graduation in an university/college where the medium of teaching was English.

It will not affect your application adversely. Simply put, you fall under the category of exemption and thus you did not take it.

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:39 pm
TOEFL is an eligibility requirement. Most of the US business schools ask you to give TOEFL being and international student but some waive it off as well in case you have done your bachelors from an institute where the medium of instruction is English. My suggestion is that it is better to take the test to have more options . Also the score required by most of the universities is 100 out of 120.
Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:[email protected]
T: 1800-102-4646
www.manyagroup.com

https://bit.ly/1OSgiTP

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:18 am
Thanks for the replies!

Team Manya,

Can you please let me what other options are you referring to in your response ? I'm a bit apprehensive about taking two tests at a short period of time when I'm focusing for Round 2 Apps with my GMAT exam still pending.

Thanks,
Sayo

Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:29 am
Here is a link that tells about the TOEFL requirements for various B-Schools, should the need arise.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/toefl-score- ... 15935.html

But as I already said, most of the schools exempt your TOEFL score if you show a document stating that your undergraduate institution has English as the teaching medium.

Followed by:7 members

by Michelle@ARINGO » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi,

I'm an applicant from India and applying to US B-schools for the Fall 2016 session. While browsing through the websites of few US B-schools, i could find that TOEFL is not required/not mandatory during the MBA App Process.

Can someone please let me know if i, being an Indian applicant(hailing from a competitive pool of applicants), stand at a fair disadvantage if i don't take the TOEFL and just submit my GMAT scores during the MBA App Process ? How does not taking the TOEFL impact my MBA application or for that matter scholarships? Should i mandatorily appear for the TOEFL even though the schools mention that TOEFL is not required/not mandatory ?

Thanks,
Sayo
Hi Sayo,
It is best to check the language requirements for international applicants at each school you are applying to. Please note that MIT Sloan and Yale SOM don't require the TOEFL, but most of the other top programs in the US do require it, unless your degree was taught in English.

Regards,
Aringo.com