730 (47Q, 42V) - Used Target Test Prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

730 (47Q, 42V) - Used Target Test Prep

by ajeller » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:05 am
When I took my first GMAT Prep test before studying, I got a 690 (39Q, 42V). With my non-quantitative background, I knew I needed to crush the quant to show schools that I can handle it. I figured I didn't need to worry much about verbal since it comes pretty easily to me, and I had finished the verbal section with tons of time to spare.

I first started out using the Manhattan GMAT books (given to me by a friend who scored a 750, but who was a math major in undergrad). My problem was, I didn't feel like the books gave me the opportunity to put the content into practice with difficult problems.

A friend recommended Target Test Prep, and I did a demo to try it out. The format was great for reinforcing the content because there are easy, medium, and difficult problem sets at the end of each chapter, so I could really master the material before moving on. It's also a TON of content. The chapters are super comprehensive - I felt like they covered every possible iteration of a problem type. If you are willing to put the time in, it's very helpful. The GMAT is all about pattern recognition, so understanding how to tackle different iterations is critical.

When I was casually studying, it was taking me forever to get through the content. After about 2 months, I took my second GMAT Prep test and scored a 730, so I decided to book a test date in 4 weeks, even though I hadn't even covered half of the Target chapters

2 weeks later I started on the MGMAT practice tests. Boy did that do a number on my confidence! I scored a 670, and then a 630. I panicked. I pushed my test date back a week, but I was leaving the country and had a hard deadline to take it.

At that point, Target saved me. I analyzed my practice tests for my weaknesses - the problem types I consistently got wrong, as well as the problem types that appeared most frequently. Then I drilled down on those content areas in Target. Being able to work my way up to the most difficult problems with timed sets for each content area was absolutely key. I put in a TON of hours those last couple weeks, mastering each content area and working my way down my list of weaknesses.

On test day, I scored a 730 (47Q, 42V). My only regret is neglecting the verbal - I dropped from a practice test high of 47 to a 42 because I figured I would just go in and be "extra careful," and it backfired. But for quant, I can't recommend Target Test Prep highly enough.