Help : Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:620

Help : Profile Evaluation

by Pena90 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:58 am
Hello Everyone,

It would be great if someone could look over my profile and comment whether it is top school worthy. (I am 25-year old Indian female)

GMAT Score : 710/91%(48Q/73%, 38V/85%), IR:3/25%, AWA:5/59%
Undergraduate GPA : 3.4/4 : B.Tech Electronics and Communication
Work Experience : 4 years as Automotive Embedded Engineer in a very reputable company
(Inclusive of 6 months in Paris working with customers)

Extra Curricular : Lead a department of 180 people for CSR at work.
Completed beginner levels in French and Japanese.
Initiated and brought out First College magazine in undergraduate university.

I am very disappointed with my IR scores and have half a mind to retake the whole exam again. Do you think it would be worth the money to retake the exam?

My extra curriculars are nothing to brag about. I have some school level achievements that I am not sure are relevant for an MBA application. Examples : being on the Student School Board, getting a scholarship after passing a Spiritual Science Exam, etc.

Finally, does soliciting an MBA analyst's help in getting through the admission quagmire really gives one an edge over those who dont?

I would really appreciate any comments/suggestions/ advice.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 pm
Hey there Pena90,
So from what I see here, I'd guess that your range that you should be applying in is in Top20, with the Top 5 programs being stretches for you.

You have a good GPA, a good GMAT, and what seems to be good work experience, but the competition is still (there will be IIT grads with a higher GPA and a higher GMAT at the Top 10 level). But with a good spread of schools, and a clear and fantastic application, Top 20 should be within range.

At this point in time, with deadlines approaching, and especially considering that your GMAT is very good, I don't think you should retake the test. But instead put your energies into the application.

Best,
Jon
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by Pena90 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:41 pm
Hello Jon,

Thank you so much for your feedback.
I guessed that my profile will not be enough for the top 10 schools. But, I am willing to settle for anything (that meets my requirement) in the top 25. So, your saying top 20 is very encouraging.

I have dropped the idea of retaking the exam. As you mention, it is too close to the deadlines. I am beginning my applications next week. Hoping for the best!

Regards,
Prerana

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:11 pm
Pena90 wrote:Hello Everyone,

It would be great if someone could look over my profile and comment whether it is top school worthy. (I am 25-year old Indian female)

Work Experience : 4 years as Automotive Embedded Engineer in a very reputable company

I am very disappointed with my IR scores and have half a mind to retake the whole exam again. Do you think it would be worth the money to retake the exam?

My extra curriculars are nothing to brag about. I have some school level achievements that I am not sure are relevant for an MBA application. Examples : being on the Student School Board, getting a scholarship after passing a Spiritual Science Exam, etc.

Finally, does soliciting an MBA analyst's help in getting through the admission quagmire really gives one an edge over those who dont?

Thank you!
Hi,

We see your candidature as strong. We have seen handful of female applicants with automative experience from India. International experience and French and Japanese language will also help.

We agree that your IR is low but we dont recommend retaking GMAT for IR only. Top 10 schools will be tough but 11-25 rank schools are your best bet.

If you are keen on top 10 ( fees for GMAT should not be the criteria in decision), we recommend preparing for a month ( Aug) and improving score to 740 or so. In this case you will be left with a month for R1 deadlines. So, you will be able to target 2 schools in R1 and rest can be applied to in R2.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:34 am
Hello, the profile looks interesting. I would say you have a mixed profile, there are some weak spots like low extra-curricula rs in college, and leadership roles and some strong areas like CSR in office, International exposure. But being a female applicant, I can assure you'll have your share of luck. I do believe that 710 is a decent score, but if you are positive about a score of 730+ in another attempt; then you should consider re-taking it. Being a female applicant the 730 will be good enough to get attention. Taking help from a professional consultant has its own merits, and it is further important if you are unsure about your short/long term goals. With the right direction, your profile does have caliber.
Best wishes,
Team Manya-The Princeton Review

E:[email protected]
T: 1800-102-4646
www.manyagroup.com

https://bit.ly/1OSgiTP

by Pena90 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:00 pm
apphelp wrote:
Pena90 wrote:Hello Everyone,

Thank you!
Hi,

We see your candidature as strong. We have seen handful of female applicants with automative experience from India. International experience and French and Japanese language will also help.

We agree that your IR is low but we dont recommend retaking GMAT for IR only. Top 10 schools will be tough but 11-25 rank schools are your best bet.

If you are keen on top 10 ( fees for GMAT should not be the criteria in decision), we recommend preparing for a month ( Aug) and improving score to 740 or so. In this case you will be left with a month for R1 deadlines. So, you will be able to target 2 schools in R1 and rest can be applied to in R2.

Feel free to contact us for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Hello Apphelp Team,

Thanks for your feedback. Your reply is very encouraging.
I have dropped the idea to write the exam again. I am writing some certification exams for next levels in French and Japanese in some weeks and this and CSR are currently occupying my off-work time.
I plan to take a chance this year.
Of the 6 schools I am applying to, just 1 is in the top 10. It is my wild card.
I thank you again for your time.

Regards,
Pena90

by Pena90 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:18 pm
manyaabroadtpr wrote:Hello, the profile looks interesting. I would say you have a mixed profile, there are some weak spots like low extra-curricula rs in college, and leadership roles and some strong areas like CSR in office, International exposure. But being a female applicant, I can assure you'll have your share of luck. I do believe that 710 is a decent score, but if you are positive about a score of 730+ in another attempt; then you should consider re-taking it. Being a female applicant the 730 will be good enough to get attention. Taking help from a professional consultant has its own merits, and it is further important if you are unsure about your short/long term goals. With the right direction, your profile does have caliber.
Hello manyaabroadtpr,

Thanks for pointing out the weak points in my profile. I am trying to improve those as much as possible in the given time frame. I have discarded the idea of another attempt and have decided to improve extra curricular section in my profile.
Thanks for your remarks on MBA consultants. I am inclined not to avail their services though. The reason is I wish to do my own legwork.

Regards,
Pena90