GMAT Practice Test 1

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

GMAT Practice Test 1

by lukebowes1234 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:03 am
Just took my first GMAT practice test from GMAT Test Prep Software. I scored a 660. My goal is 730+. Scores were Quant 40 (52nd percentile) and Verbal 40 (90th percentile).

Would love to get some feedback from someone who may have started in my position. Or the best way for me to get my total score up. Do I have a shot at 730+?

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:49 pm
Hi lukebowes1234,

A 660 is a strong first CAT score (the average on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Before I can offer any advice though, I'd like to know a bit more about your studies so far and your overall plans:

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What resources are you using (or plan to use)?
3) When you took this CAT, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?

4) When are you planning to take the Official GMAT?

In answer to your question, I'd say that you have a very good shot at a 730+ score. You'll likely have to hone your Quant skills a bit (and learn some Quant-Specific tactics), but that shouldn't be too difficult as long as you have the necessary time and resources.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 am
1) I have been studying for about a week.
2) I'm going to be using OG and OG Verbal and OG Quant. Also using Vertas Prep.
3) I skipped IR and AWA.
4) Taking official GMAT at the beginning of August and again (if needed) at the start of September.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 pm
Hi lukebowes1234,

With an early August Test Date, you have about 6 weeks of study time - that might seem like a lot, but it will pass by quickly. As such, you have to infuse a bit more 'realism' into your studies so that you can become as familiar with the specifics of Test Day as possible.

When you take your CATs, you must take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) - this will help to build up your endurance. When it comes to practice problems, some book work is to be expected, but you'll want to put a greater emphasis on computer-based work - since that is what you'll be doing on Test Day.

Using your initial CAT score for reference, it looks like you'll need to spend more time on the Quant section than on the Verbal section. For now, you can study as you see fit, but you should plan to take a FULL CAT every 1-2 weeks. Those CAT results will provide vital information that we can use to track your progress and make any necessary adjustments to your study plan.

Rich

by lukebowes1234 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:33 am
Okay, Just finished my first MGMAT CAT. I scored a 660 again. This time 42 on Quant and 38 on Verbal. Should I see this as encouraging or discouraging. Are the MGMAT CAT's considered easier or harder than GMAC's?

Any insight would be awesome!

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:18 am
Hi lukebowes1234,

With the GMAT, it sometimes takes time for lessons/tactics/etc. that you've just learned to 'sink in.' Since this recent score is essentially identical to your prior score, the approach that you took with this CAT is likely consistent with how you approached your initial CAT.

What did you study over this last week? Have you been working on practice problems or have you been attempting to learn new tactics?

Rich

by lukebowes1234 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:48 am
Over the past week, I studied SC and Algebra. It was a combination of tactics and practice questions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:07 am
Okay, Just finished my first MGMAT CAT. I scored a 660 again. This time 42 on Quant and 38 on Verbal. Should I see this as encouraging or discouraging. Are the MGMAT CAT's considered easier or harder than GMAC's?

Any insight would be awesome!

Thanks!
No reason to be discouraged. First, as Rich noted, it typically takes time to see improvement. So long as you're reviewing your practice tests in depth, making notes of anything you can improve on, and incorporating strategic adjustments for the next test, you will eventually see your score jump. In general, it's good to focus more on process than on the individual results of practice tests, because fluctuations are inevitable. And secondly, in my experience, students, on average, score a bit lower on the MGMAT test on average.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:14 am
Hi lukebowes1234,

After taking each CAT, it's important to do a full review of the CAT. You'll obviously be interested in the questions that you got wrong, but you have to ask WHY you got them wrong - by defining those causes, you then have something that you can work to fix.

How many questions did you get wrong because of a silly/little mistake? What could you have done to keep that little mistake from happening (hint: the answer will usually involve taking more notes)? It's also worthwhile to physically redo those questions, so that you can work on your 'mechanics' - don't just say "I'll do better next time" - train to do better NOW.

You might also find it useful to post any individual questions from your CAT in the Forums here. You'd be amazed how many different ways you can learn to approach prompts.

Rich

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:15 am
Okay made some progress this weekend. Took 2 CAT's. Saturday was a 670 (42Q, 39V), and Sunday was a 700 (46Q, 40V). Starting to see some progress, which is nice. Getting closer to my 730 goal!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:34 am
Hi lukebowes1234,

That's great news about your progress. I should warn you that taking CATs on back-to-back days is NOT a good idea, so you'd be better served sticking to 1 FULL-LENGTH CAT per week.

Is there anything that you can describe as being different/better about how you handled these CATs (compared to how you handled the others)?

Rich

by lukebowes1234 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 am
Why is it bad to take them on back to back days?

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:43 pm
Why is it bad to take them on back to back days?
I wouldn't say that it's "bad" so much as that it is, for most test-takers, less than ideal. There are two concerns: one is that taking tests on back to back days is mentally arduous, and, over time, could increase the risk of burnout. The second concern is that each test gives us the opportunity to make strategic adjustments. We might want to brush up on a few topics between exams or make a commitment to employing certain strategies, and typically, it will take much more than one day to really internalize any adjustments you've made. That said, if you don't feel as though you're burning out, and you're extracting strategic nuggets from each exam, the tests are still serving their basic purpose. Just give yourself a little break before the next one and make sure you thoroughly dissect the ones you've just taken.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by lukebowes1234 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 pm
Took another CAT today and didn't do as great. 680. (46Q and 37V). This whole time I've been thinking the Quant would be my weak area but it seems like Verbal is what is holding me back from a good score.

Legendary Member

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:30 am
Took another CAT today and didn't do as great. 680. (46Q and 37V). This whole time I've been thinking the Quant would be my weak area but it seems like Verbal is what is holding me back from a good score.
You should note that the scoring is different for the quant and verbal in terms of how your raw score translates into a percentile. A 46 quant translates to 64th percentile and a 37 verbal is 83rd percentile. This isn't to say that you shouldn't try to hit 90th percentile on verbal; you should. But a slight improvement in both sections will boost your score to your target. Just make sure to review the test thoroughly and post any questions here.

Veritas Prep Reviews