Sentance Correction

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Sentance Correction

by schelljo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm
I have identified sentence concurrently complete a MGMAT quant book a week which will bring me to roughly 6 weeks for total review before taking another CAT and reassessing? Critical Reasoning and Reading Comp I am already scoring in the mid 600's while for Sentence Correction I am in the 600 range flat.

A few other items for consideration. Completed the MGMAT FOM and FOV books as I scored a terrible 520 on my 1st CAT. After review of the foundations I shot up to a 570.

Any feedback on this study plan.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:50 am
Hi schelljo.

Working on SC sounds like a good idea. Beyond, that it's a little challenging to evaluate your plan without some more information.

Having said that, I can say that I wonder if you are being too general in your approach to increasing your quant score. It seems that via using your past CATs you could determine what areas of quant you need to work on most to achieve a higher score. If some of them stand out more than others, which likely is the case, then maybe a more targeted approach would make more sense than the general approach to quant which you have described.

Also, your approach sounds a little book heavy, as if you are studying for a math test or an English test rather than honing your skills at playing a reasoning game, which is basically what the GMAT is. So maybe you should supplement your reading with more game playing, by using a question bank such as the quant questions offered on Bellcurves.com, the question bank offered by Veritas, or the questions offered by Magoosh.

Also, along those same lines, probably you should be using practice tests more often than once every six weeks, both in order to get practice at playing the game that you are seeking to learn to play, and as a means of assessing where to focus your preparation. In addition to the GMAT Prep tests, there are decent practice tests offered by certain companies, such as Veritas and MGMAT.

Even if you want to focus mostly on SC at this point, you could be using question banks and practice tests to continue regularly practicing CR and RC and figuring out how to getting more points in those categories too. If you can already do pretty well with CR and RC, maybe you can get to the point of doing extremely well with them and get a high verbal section score.

Maybe that will help.

Still, I am curious what quant and verbal sub scores you achieved on your recent practice test. Maybe if you provide that information, I, and others, could give you some more ideas.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Rich@EconomistGMAT » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:30 am
Hi schelljo,

As Marty pointed out, your approach sounds a bit book-heavy. While you'll get a lot of great practice with the concepts and sets of practice questions, there are a number of test-taking strategies you won't learn by using books alone. Most of the online resources available offer free trials, so take advantage of them and see what works best for you. To help you get started, here's a link to try Economist GMAT Tutor for 7 days: https://bit.ly/1bPAHuW. You'll notice that in addition to walking you through all the concepts you'll need to crack the GMAT, the adaptive technology will customize a study plan specific to your needs.

Best,
Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:32 am
Hi schelljo,

I reread one of your earlier posts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/sentance-cor ... tml#745270

Based on the information provided and the original date, you've been studying now for over 3 months. You also refer to your 1st CAT as a 520, but you earlier reported a 640 as your 1st CAT score. Can you clarify these points?

At this point, you should really be taking CATs at more regular intervals.

When are you planning to take the GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:41 am
As Rich points out, most of the online resources offer free trials.
Our company is no different (except our course is entirely free).

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by schelljo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:45 pm
Hey all. Thanks for responding. My first CAT was a 520. Rich, I started studying 3 months ago but have been in the hospital twice which almost really killed a month for me and in all honestly I was able to fully recover just recently. I am targeting a GMAT date of October which leaves me 3 months of study. When looking at my most recent CAT 570, the sub scores were V 29, Q 38. I think I will adjust my plan to take a CAT every 2 weeks and rest assured that each night I will be targeted OG questions or sets. Any thoughts that can help?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:28 am
That is a solid plan. One word of advice is to not look for huge leaps in your score each successive CAT. First, there is statistical variance and second, there is a lot of material. So, patching up a few weaknesses that you find in a CAT will help, but that CAT may also not 'find' all of your weak areas. Stay diligent and 3 months is plenty of time for you to reach your goals.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:24 am
Hi schelljo,

I hope that whatever put you into the hospital has been properly taken care of. Considering what you've been dealing with, it's understandable how your studies and CAT scores might have been inconsistent. Assuming that everything is 'back to normal', 3 months of study time should give you plenty of opportunity to improve.

Is your score goal still 720?

Using this 570 as a gauge, you have some serious work to do in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. That having been said, you've improved on the prior 520, so you could continue to study as you have been and we can see how you score on your next CAT (in 2 weeks or so). If your scores do not improve, then we can talk about how you can adjust your studies. I suspect that you'll eventually have to invest in some new computer-based resources, but with 3 months to go, you have some time before you have to make that choice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by schelljo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:02 pm
Rich-

Thanks much for taking the time to respond. I'll keep with this plan and we will see how the first CAT goes. My goal is to earn a score that ensures I am competitive at the following schools,

Wharton
UNC
Emory
Duke
Columbia

Based upon the averages for these schools I am targeting a 720 but would be happy with a 700+. In terms of CATS's, I have allready bought the 6 MGMAT tests as well as the extra tests from GMAC. Hopefully this will last me for a while.

Thanks for your time and any feedback is appreciated.