Chances calculator by Aringo.com with 99 lines–predictive?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Anyone around here tried the crazy-detailed (not to say exhausting...) admission chances evaluation tool on Aringo.com?

I played with it got a "competitive-to-stretch" closer to stretch at Columbia and INSEAD and stretch at Chicago and Wharton.

I am pretty sure I am WAY more competitive at these schools than this tool predicts (extremely strong work experience, 4 promotions, international brand, exceptional achievements, manage 8 people now).

Is there anyone here who used this tool and then got real life result in any of these schools? was the prediction any good?

Last edited by Sheriff on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Sheriff » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:02 am
ANYONE?
Any past applicants who can compare the tool's prediction with their actual outcome?
Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:34 am
Sheriff wrote:Anyone around here tried the crazy-detailed (not to say exhausting...) admission chance evaluation tool on Aringo.com?

I played with it got a "competitive-to-stretch" closer to stretch at Columbia and INSEAD and stretch at Chicago and Wharton.

I am pretty sure I am WAY more competitive at these schools than this tool predicts (extremely strong work experience, 4 promotions, international brand, exceptional achievements, manage 8 people now).

Is there anyone here who used this tool and then got real life result in any of these schools? was the prediction any good?

What's your GMAT/GPA/Undergrad?
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

by Sheriff » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 pm
690 (will probably retake).
Undergrad in business, GPA 3.2.

Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:32 am
Sheriff wrote:690 (will probably retake).
Undergrad in business, GPA 3.2.
You do know that both your GPA and your GMAT are below average at all 4 schools - Columbia, INSEAD, Booth and Wharton, right?

Where did you go to school? Did you attend an Ivy or equivalent? What does your work experience look like? Did you work at a "blue chip" firm such as McKinsey, Google or Goldman Sachs? Were you a military officer?

What are your extracurriculars?

Based on your GMAT and GPA alone, you are a stretch candidate at those 4 schools. I'll defer to an MBA admissions expert though. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll tell you right now that I'm in approximately the same boat as you, I have a bit lower GPA but a higher GMAT, I'm a Marine officer currently with 15 direct reports, working in a job that was formerly occupied by an officer 2 ranks senior to me; and I don't think I'm a "strong" candidate at your 4 schools. Especially Wharton.

There are guys out there with 770 GMATs, 3.8 double major from Stanford, and worked 4 years in McKinsey applying to some of those schools.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:58 am
I don't know about the predictor tool, but in my experience it'd be hard to put any candidate's credentials into a formula to see the results. The best you could do is a statistical regression to see how your credentials have stacked up against past candidates. The application process is deeply personal, and even a very thorough model would have difficulty with the interpersonal and emotional parts of your candidacy.

Since the tool is so exhaustive and long, perhaps you could just request a free evaluation from them. Most of the admissions consultants are happy to provide such an evaluation for their clients and it might be less time consuming.
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting

by Sheriff » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:54 am
Yes, I know my profile is not the best, and that I'm a stretch candidate in the top programs. The other elements in my profile are OK I guess, not too good and not too bad. That's why I'm wondering if this tool is predictive.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by suburban » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:15 pm
You can take this tool's advice, but don't take it as absolute truth. Try to understand the importance of the different elements and see where you can improve your profile. Also, maybe add schools where you are strong as safety schools.

Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:54 am
When people post on these forums for a free profile evaluation from admissions consultants, I think it's essentially the same thing as what the Aringo tool is doing. A limited sample of your profile stats is being used to assess your odds of admission. So, while you shouldn't put too much stock into the predictions, I still think it has some merit.

by Sheriff » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:26 am
I agree with you about the fact that only a limited sample of your profile stats is used, so you should take the prediction with a grain of salt, but it can give you some idea of the main factors you can work on to improve your chances - manage people, promotions, awards...

by chairman14 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:43 am
I just took the test, not sure how accurate it is but it's fun!

by Sheriff » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 am
One additional thought about it - I think this model gives too many points to the essays, which seem to be less important this year after some top programs cut the number of essays of words. I think it was Dee Leopold of Harvard who said "it shouldn't be a writing contest".

by suburban » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:34 am
HBS is not alone, check out this article on the shrinking word limits this year:
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/07/16/th ... g-mba-app/
They got tired of reading the same old bla bla bla from applicants...

by supermario » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 am
I like it, less work for us :)

by suburban » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:26 pm
Maybe, but on the other side you have less space to tell the adcom about your accomplishments, you have to leave it for the resume and sometimes it's not enough. Last year you could write about 3 accomplishments and now only 1.