Translating accuracy on OG questions into GMAT score

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi folks,
Looking for some feedback on my practice performance. I have been using the GMat software on gmat.wiley.com to create practice tests from OG verbal questions and attempting them in a timed manner. On tests of Easy + Medium + Hard questions I have been getting ~90% accuracy. Is this good, okay or not enough for a target 730-740 score ? (Assuming an approx. Quant score of 49-50 ?

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:38 pm
There's really no good way to accurately gauge your current skill level based on those results. The computer adaptive nature of the GMAT means that, within a few questions, you will be struggling with questions, which means time and stress quickly become issues. 90% accuracy tells me that you have not been creating a test-like environment. Also, the GMAT is a test of mental endurance (about 4 hours!). Have your practice sessions lasted that long?

To know where you stand, you really need to take an official practice test: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by blade » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:01 pm
Not 4 but 2 hours at least ! Any suggestions on next steps? GMAT/MGMAT prep tests?

by blade » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:05 pm
Ignore my message. I did not see your complete message. 12 at night here, I should go sleep :P

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by dabral » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:17 pm
Hi blade,

What you are doing is great because this will help you transition to the computer adaptive test format of the GMAT. However, predicting your score based on the percent correct is impossible, partly because your OG sets would be of mixed difficulty. But it is clear that with 90% correct, you will score fairly high on the GMAT. The best would be to take the entire GMAT CAT from GMATPrep Software(the two free tests available from mba.com). The key is to see what the real test experience would be like. It is very difficult and stressful, and the sooner one can see that the better they can mentally prepare for it and change the course of their preparation if needed.

Cheers,
Dabral
Free Video Explanations: 2021 GMAT OFFICIAL GUIDE.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:45 am
Have you taken a practice test yet? I always encourage students to take a practice test VERY early in their studies (within the first week of preparing). I do this for several reasons:
- Students should know, as soon as possible, exactly what they will be preparing for over the coming weeks and months.
- The results of this test help students gauge the amount of work required to reach their target score.
- These practice tests help build confidence, since scores inevitably improve as the student prepares.

If you're interested, I wrote an article on taking a practice test early in one's studies: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/tak ... st-already

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com